Surface Pro output to external monitor's maximum screen resolution

Hi,

I just bought the new surface pro and am trying to connect it to an external dell monitor that has a resolution of 2560 x 1080.

When I connect the monitor to my new surface pro, the maximum resolution it will let me display is 1920 x 1080 (kind of defeats the purpose of having an extra wide monitor).

I'm connecting it via a microsoft mini display port to hdmi.  I've tried restarting, updating the monitor and display drivers and have not been successful in getting it to work.  

When I plug my old surface pro 3 to the same monitor, it has no problems at all detecting the higher resolution.

can someone please provide some advice on how I can fix this?

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2020 Views 18,742 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi CIP880,

I think the problem is likely your adapter. If the connection runs through a cable or adapter that converts a mini display port to DVI or HDMI, the adapter must be a Passive Type-2 or Active adapter for it to support resolutions above 1920 x 1200 dpi. Passive Type-1 adapters don't support resolutions of 1920 x 1200, and most Passive adapters are not Type-2. Additionally, some Active adapters note in their documentation that they only support 1920 x 1200 resolution, so you must buy a 4K high resolution–compatible one if you want to use a resolution above 1920 x 1200 dpi. Customers must verify the maximum resolution supported by the adapter they are using.

What monitor model is it? Most new monitors have DisplayPort support. If your monitor supports DisplayPort, we recommend that you use a Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable. DisplayPort will allow you to use the highest supported resolution and refresh rate with your Surface.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Microsoft Surface Team
support.microsoft.com/surface

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

This could be a cable issue, have you tried a different cable?

I am running 3 Dell 2515H 1440p monitors at full res & 60hz and I can tell you it's awesome!

You should have no problems with just 1 monitor

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.