Surface Pro Charger Lighting Up Without Being Plugged In And Won't Charge

I've had my surface pro for about half a year now, and this had only started happening today. I had gone to plug in my surface when I noticed a blueish crust on the tip of the charger. I don't know if this was part of the problem because I had noticed that there was a bit of the blue crust inside of the surface charging hole and it had charged fine the day before. I decided to clean it off with a damp rag, then blew it dry and plugged it in. It did not charge yet the light was on, and then I disconnected the charger, the light remained on. Now if I just touch the pins with my finger, it will light up. I have unplugged and plugged it in the outlet multiple times and there is no difference. It has also flashed on and off on multiple occasions.

I don't understand what could have triggered this, for there was no water spilt on it (besides the rag but that was with caution?) and nothing had happened to it since the last charge. I also have no idea what the blue crust could have been since it was only around the part that goes in the surface pro, and not on any other part of the charger. I have also noticed there is a small dent in one pin which I think could have been the problem, but I know nothing about chargers so I could be wrong.

Hi EmilyPankratz ,

First of all, thank you for raising this concern to us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that had caused. We would suggest to contact our Surface Technical Support Team for further resolution on this matter.

You may contact them through this links - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have had your Surface Pro for 1.5 years, it probably is not an original
Surface Pro from 2013. Do you have a 2017 Surface Pro 5th generation or if not,
which exact Surface do you have?

If you have a Surface Pro 3 or newer, the replacement power adapter can be
purchased at
It would not be covered under warranty if over one year unless you purchased
Microsoft Complete when you bought your Surface.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 1,078 Applies to: