Surface Pro 7 stuck in boot up screen and Windows Logo seems to scroll up?

When I turn my device on, it will be stuck in the boot-up screen and the Windows logo will disappear and re-appear but seems to be coming from the bottom of the screen then going up. It's weird and it will loop like that until I force shut it. 

For everyone's reference, here's how it looks like: https://youtu.be/gGLTkXxRgVE 

This happens to me at least once a week, especially when I haven't used my Surface Pro for a week or longer. 

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?

Hi RolandC3,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

The issue could be due to some corrupted system files so what I can initially suggest is to run the system file checker to check if there are some system files that are currently corrupted and are just looping around causing this issue to exists.  To run the system file checker, kindly type Command Prompt on the search box next to the Windows icon and run it as administrator. Once done, type and enter sfc /scannow. Let it load, detect and repair those corrupted files. Once done, restart your Surface device and please re-run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

The above mentioned troubleshooting steps can be performed if you can still access this device but if it is currently stuck on the Windows logo, you may need to force shutdown the surface device by pressing and holding the power button and the volume + for 20 seconds or up until the screen turns off, then restart your Surface after few seconds.

If in case the device is still stuck on the Windows logo, you can reimage the Surface device in order for you to re-install its native drivers and reset it back to its default settings.

- HOW TO DOWNLOAD, CREATE AND USE A USB RECOVERY DRIVE -

You'll need a PC running Windows 7 or later or a Surface Device and a USB flashdrive (16GB or 32 GB). 

1. Visit the page to Download the recovery image for your Surface
  2. Sign in with your Microsoft Account
  3. From the list of Surface devices available, select the device that you need a recovery image for
    Please note that while you will only be presented with devices that are currently registered on your account, you will also be presented with the option to get an image for a different type of device. If you try to use this option, you will be prompted to enter the serial number for your Surface device.
  4. Download the recovery image using the button on the page
  5. When the download bar pops up at the bottom of your screen, save the file in a location you will be able to find it.

Format USB Drive:

• Note: Formatting a recovery drive will erase anything that is already stored on your USB drive. Make sure to transfer any important data from your USB drive to another storage device before using it to create a Surface
    USB recovery drive.

1. Insert your USB drive into the USB port of your PC.
  2. From the desktop, open File Explorer
  3. Tap and hold or right-click on the USB drive and choose Format
  4. Select FAT32 as the file system and enter a Volume label to name the USB drive, such as RECOVERY, and then tap or click Start
  5. Tap or click OK to erase the contents of the USB drive
  6. Tap or click OK when the format is complete

Create a recovery drive:

1. On your Surface or PC, open recovery image that you downloaded by double-clicking it or right click then select Extract and then Extract all.
  2. Select the USB drive you formatted earlier for the location and click Extract.

Use a USB recovery drive to reset your Surface:

1. Shutdown the Surface
  2. Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port
  3. Press and hold the volume-down (-) rocker
  4. Press and release the power button
  5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down (-) rocker
  6. Surface will start the recovery software on the USB recovery drive
  7. When prompted, choose your language options and keyboard layout
  8. Select Troubleshoot
  9. Select Recover from a Drive. Choose Remove Everything and Fully Clean the Drive. Recovering this PC.
  10. If prompted, select Repartition the drives
  11. If prompted for BitLocker Key, tap Skip this Drive and continue with the reimaging process.

In the event that the issue still exists after resetting the device, then this confirms that what's going on in your Surface is already a hardware issue and the best recommendation I can suggest is to contact our MS Surface Support for replacement options.

If this helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same issue. I have run sfc /scannow and found no corrupt files... Reseting my computer is not really an option at this time.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This exaxt issue is happening to me as well. The only way to fix it is to force restart. Just started happening last week. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same exact issue.  I also ran the Surface Pro 7 update and its still happening.  If Microsoft doesn't address this issue soon, I'm going to have to exchange it for a something else.  Extremely disappointing because I love the device itself but Im not settling for this especially when it seems to be a widespread issue, not isolated to only a few.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Third Surface other two were exchanged. Same issue here except my screen locks on Windows logo.  Ahhh why did i do tgat update!! 

I cant get off tge logo screen now any ideas??

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RolandC3,

I have the same problem -- thank you for sharing the video. Super helpful.

I followed Crest_Z's advice to  run sfc /scannow. I think that may have fixed my problem because the log showed corrupt files (now fixed) and all were involved with startup and all said the problem was was because something was "owned twice or has its security set twice."

If the problem happens again, I'll update this post.

Side note. I don't know if this is weird or related: my system info says my WIndows version is 18363, but the fixed files below are about version 18362. I have no idea what's up with that. 

Some examples from my log:

CSI    000000e3 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ is owned twice or has its security set twice

Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.1237, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.1237, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

CSI    000000e4 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ is owned twice or has its security set twice

Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.1237, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.1237, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with the Surface Pro 7 that I gave to somebody as Christmas present.
So right now I can not reinstall Windows or reset the device.
I tried the suggested sfc /scannow and it found some corrupted files and repaired it.
...afterwards I re-run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

But a few days later the same problem occured again.

I tried again sfc /scannow but this time it found no corrupted files.

Tried chkdsk /r /f today and installed the latest updates 20H2 and all available updates.

Afterwards I cleand up lots of disk space via "Clean up system files".
I hope this will help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi am having the exact same issue. Cannot get past windows logo. USB recovery disk method does not work as it never goes past window logo and just turns off after few seconds.

Windows support shows warranty expired Nov 2020. It was purchased on black friday 2019 but started using it at beginning of school in Aug 2020. So has lasted me only 7 months which is absolutely unacceptable. 

Please advice how to proceed.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2024 Views 22,098 Applies to: