Surface Pro 7 shutting down randomly

If the device stays ideal for a minute it directly shuts down. I have checked all the sleep and power settings and that's not an issue. I see this was an issue in previous versions too. Any fix?

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2020 Views 17,394 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue, we are actively investigating. Please continue monitoring this thread for additional information and continue to check for Windows Updates.

Thanks,

BryanH [MSFT]

Microsoft Surface Team
support.microsoft.com/surface

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I try to post these workarounds every so often on the thread.  

Option #4 has worked for many folks, including myself.   Consider giving it a try and let us know what happens:

Option 1: Remove "Modern Standby" features and create a new (non-balanced) power plan:

• Open the Registry Editor and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
  • Change the "CsEnabled" value from '1' to '0'. Click OK and restart the Surface Pro.
  • Create a new power plan using one of the newly available plan options. (I chose "High performance" and didn't bother changing any of its settings.)

Option 2: Change the display drivers to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter:

• Open the Device Manager.
  • Expand "Display Adapters".
  • Right-click on "Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics" and select "Update driver".
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software".
  • Choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
  • Select "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and click Next to install the drivers.

Option 3: Update the display drivers to the latest version (from Intel, not Microsoft):

• Download the latest display drivers from Intel as a ZIP file: https://downloadcenter.
  • Extract the files from the ZIP file to a local folder.
  • Open the Device Manager.
  • Expand "Display Adapters".
  • Right-click on "Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics" and select "Update driver".
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software".
  • Choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
  • Select the "Have Disk" button and browse to the folder containing the extracted files.
  • In the "Graphics" subfolder, select the file "iigd_dch.inf" and click OK.
  • Click Next to install the latest Iris Plus drivers. (This also installs the Intel Graphics Command Center application by default.)

Before posting anything, I wanted to wait until I had time to test each of these "solutions" on multiple Surface Pro 7 devices. They all seemed to work, but obviously each comes with their own pros and cons:

1. Pros: Stops the crashing...
    Cons: Requires registry changes and reboots. Removes quality of life features: quick wake from sleep and battery power settings.
  2. Pros: Easiest to implement and fastest way to stop the crashing.
    Cons: Initially changes display settings (display scaling primarily). Removes color profile switching and possible GPU benefits.
  3. Pros: Official drivers don't remove any features. Includes several months of potential bug fixes versus Microsoft's current version.
    Cons: Goes against official Microsoft recommendations. Unsure how Windows Update will handle driver updates in the future.

Then, while I was still testing, user 'rfh2001' posted another possible solution:

Option 4: Disable the "Panel Self Refresh" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center:

• "I've fixed it on my SP7 i5/8G/256G by installing the Intel Graphics Command Center from the Microsoft Store, opening it, going to System>Power>Panel Self Refresh and turning it off for both "On Battery" and "Plugged In"."

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.