Surface Pro 7 pen pressure issues with palm rejection

Pen works fine when only the pen is making contact with the screen. However, when my palm is resting on the screen, the pressure detection of the pen becomes extremely inaccurate. As soon as skin (palm, fingers, etc) makes contact with the screen, the pressure curve of the pen becomes a staircase, as if the pen could only detect 5-20 levels of pressure, instead of 4096 like it's supposed to. Here's a screenshot from the Surface app:
And here is how it looks like when drawing:

Is this normal? How can I fix it?

Device: Surface Pro 7 Model 1866 i5 (8GB RAM, 128GB SSD)
OS: Windows 10 Home Version 1903 build 18362.449 (edit: I've since updated to 1909 build 18363.628, issue persists)
Pen: Microsoft Surface Pen Model 1776 (Burgundy) 

I have: 
- paired my pen
- unpaired and repaired the pen via Bluetooth options
- rebooted the Surface Pro
- soft reset the Surface Pro (volume+ and power buttons down for 15 seconds)
- removed and reinserted the battery into the pen (only way I could think of turning it off and on again)
- checked Windows Updates
- checked for app updates via Windows Store
- run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, no problems detected
- tried with and without Settings → Devices → Pen & Windows Ink → Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen
- set the correct hand I'm using from pen settings
- tried in multiple different apps, including Surface app, Adobe Photoshop, Krita, Sketchable, Autodesk SketchBook and others — same problem everywhere
- tried calibrating the pen (search "calibrate" from start menu and choose pen calibration), a dialog opens after choosing "Calibrate..." → "Pen input", asks for permission, and just makes a sound and closes after I grant permission, so I'm not sure if it's not working correctly, but nothing changed either way — tried to do this multiple times, rebooting in between, but doesn't seem to do anything

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not restricted to  MS Surface, I'm having similar problems with an Asus Flip S, all was fine until the last update (1909). All good until I touch the screen with hand, then inking happens without even touching pen to screen, inking skips and lags but somewhat randomly. Sometimes the pen is not recognised for several seconds. I have "write in panel with finger" switched off. (Note the Asus pen is not paired by bluetooth to function.) 

I will uninstall 1909 at the end of today to see if that makes any difference.

*Update*

Uninstalling 1909 certainly improved things. I lost my patience with the irrational behaviour and uninstalled it, I then managed to continue my working day normally. For the record, I am a med editor and use only the pen with handwriting to edit (have done so since 2010!), so yes, I am well aware of how well it works when it does work properly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have to say I had no problems at all on my Asus with 1903. When mine updated to 1909 the pen problem arose. However, it also installed KB4524570. I have uninstalled 1909 and pen behaviour is pretty well back to normal but not quite what it was. I may uninstall the KB update too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm that this is a widespread issue (possibly happing to every device out there) with both the surface pro 7 and pro x. Our best bet other than returning the devices is to wait for Microsoft to issue a software update if possible, but it is unclear if the problem can be resolved by software or is a unfixable hardware problem. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm update on mine.

My Asus pen battery seems to have died. Just swapped it for a new one AND reinstalled 1909. Pleasantly surprised to find all working perfectly again. So my issue at least seems to have been battery-related after all. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having this issue on a regularly basis. Sometimes the pen seems to be jumping around by more than 5 mm, making it extremely hard to write. Unfortunately when calling support they didn't know that issue. Because of other issues they already sent me a second Surface Pro 7 which has the exactly same issues.

Trying to draw a straight line:

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oof, this is a lot worse than what I've got. Mine writes perfectly with only the rare occasional jitter when I move my hand on the screen while drawing. Get it replaced again.  (the pressure issue is present the same as the original post) 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue.. Found out about that due to TabletPros Video on YouTub (good content btw) and now it's bothering me. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next Updates if this can be fixed softwarewise :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue.  Just bought SP7 last week specifically for drawing and this is the first thing I find. Using the Raphael 5 as recommended by TP...which works nicely when my palm isn't on the screen.  Oy, good job MS.  Hopefully solved soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Surface Pro 7 here, even without 1909 (1903) there's a big issue. I can't properly draw on it right now.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD) here; exact same issue with staircase pressure curve when hand is touching the screen at the same time (no other issues with offset etc). Had this from day 1, currently on win10 build 18363. Problem exhibits itself both on battery and with power supply connected (tried both the one that came with the device and power via USB-C from a monitor). Really ruins the inking experience, hope this will be diagnosed and fixed soon. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2021 Views 8,383 Applies to: