Surface Pro 7 - Night Light not working during scheduled time

Hello Community,

As I type this sentence, the Night Light feature is still turned on even though it has been scheduled to be turned off during the day. I have changed the settings multiple times for the past few days but the issue seems to persist. I am not sure if the fault is in the SP7 unit display or the software controlling the Night Light. Is anyone else encountering this problem as well?

Alex

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2019 Views 99 Applies to:

Hello AlexanderShim,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Can you verify if the highlighted buttons is the same on your settings?

If it is already the same, please run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. . Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 

KarenJune_F

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello KarenJune_F

My settings are similar to the image snips that you posted of the Night light settings. I have downloaded and executed the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit as you've suggested. Lastly, I've manually checked Windows Update for any new patches, fixes and downloads with only the Windows Defender anti-virus definitions being updated.

With the three tasks you've requested me to do, I still have to manually "turn on" and "turn off" the Night light settings to correct the either cool or warm brightness of my displays.

I appreciate your efforts to resolve this issue but I think a software fix is needed to repair this setting.

Alex

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. May I know if this is related to Auto Dim and it only happens if you will not use the Surface for couple of seconds then backlight is back to normal if you will move the touchpad or press any keys on your keyboard?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. May I know if this is related to Auto Dim and it only happens if you will not use the Surface for couple of seconds then backlight is back to normal if you will move the touchpad or press any keys on your keyboard?

The Night Light is not related to the Auto Dim on the SP7 screen. My two monitors which are attached to a Surface Dock do not auto dim, only the SP7 display. The Auto Dim works fine when the screen is about to turn off in the "power & sleep" settings. Pressing any keys on the keyboard or moving my thumb on the touchpad brings the SP7 display out of auto dim.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file.

• If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number. 
  • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

If the issue persisted, try each form of Reset below and see test:

Fresh Start:

Fresh Start is the least intrusive form of reset.

You will not lose any files or personal information.

You will need to reinstall desktop programs.

Fresh Start also ensures you have has all available updates once complete.

If there is an issue with Windows itself, the issue may still occur after a reset.

Fresh Start

Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

Under "More recovery options," select Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Reset from within Windows:

This option uses the devices Hard Drive Partition to reimage the device.

This option can delete personal data (You can choose Keep my files or Remove everything).

You will need to reinstall desktop apps.

You will need to run updates upon completion.

If there is an issue with the partition, the issue may still occur after the reset.

Reset from within Windows

Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

Under Reset this PC, select Get Started. Follow on screen instructions.

USB recovery:

This option reimages the entire device, including the partition on the hard drive.

It is the most complete form of reset.

You will need to back up their personal data.

You will need to reinstall desktop apps. You will need to run updates after completion.

If the issue occurs after a reset, then the root cause is very likely hardware related.

USB recovery

You will need to download and set up a recovery image on a USB drive. Send the USB recovery link to the customer and help them get started. Information on what size and type of drive is provided at the destination page.

Sorry this didn't help.

KarenJune_F,

My Surface Pro 7 is brand new from the box and has only been released for about 2 weeks. Surely the drivers, software and firmware hasn't been updated or changed since that time yet. I will wait to do either a "Fresh Start", "Reset or "USB Recovery" after the 2nd Tuesday in November to start those tasks you've suggested. In the mean time I will wait for Windows Update to issue new software updates (if any) for this problem. I feel I've been given the run-around to do tasks that will not fix the problem but occupy my time until software developers/engineers have a solution. Anyhow, I appreciate your help.

Alex

Sorry this didn't help.

See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1903-nightlight-not-working/13c46766-6b60-442a-8bf9-eac1e9e28c24 - can you run

winver

and reply with the build number shown? 

I agree that you should not have to do a reset or fresh start on a Surface brand new out of the box to have normal functionality. 

If it were ME and I had these issues after applying all available updates to 1903 without fixing the issue, I'd join the Insiders Release Preview Ring and get the optional 1909 release now to see if that fixes your issues. Get the optional 1909 update and then hit the switch to turn off Insiders builds to stay on 190x. When you install 1909 over 1903, it is like  Cumulative Update that CAN be uninstalled (if you want to uninstall it) from Classic Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates. 

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Barb Bowman,

Here are 2 snippets of the build number of Windows 10 that is installed on my SP7:

As for trying the Windows 10 1909 Insider Build, I will pass since this is my only Windows 10 device that has my work & personal files and  applications on it. I don't want to risk using my Surface Pro 7 as a guinea pig but I appreciate the offer to.

Alex

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally understand your situation. Rumor has it that 1909 will be released 11/12
(2nd Tuesday).

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.