Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB) - Battery Life?

I picked up a Surface Pro 7 on launch but I'm really struggling with the battery life, with light usage (a few office apps and a few tabs in Edge) I'm struggling to get more than 5 hours, even with Battery Saving mode on, brightness at around 20-25 and nothing running the back ground.

I've updated everything to it latest version, surely I should be seeing better battery life than this?

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2019 Views 717 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello ChrisMitchell9,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Try to follow the instructions below and test your Surface battery life.

• Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates. 
  • Uninstall and reinstall battery driver. From Device Manager, expand the Batteries category. Right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, select the Driver tab, and select Uninstall > OK. Restart the device.
  • Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file. This is to make sure you got the latest Drivers and Firmware.
    • If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number.
    • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 

KarenJune_F

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Paul Thurrott's review is interesting. He is getting 6 hours only. So I doubt that any hoop jumping will change this much. https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/221387/microsoft-surface-pro-7-review 
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello ChrisMitchell9,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Try to follow the instructions below and test your Surface battery life.

• Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates. 
  • Uninstall and reinstall battery driver. From Device Manager, expand the Batteries category. Right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, select the Driver tab, and select Uninstall > OK. Restart the device.

• Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file. This is to make sure you got the latest Drivers and Firmware.
    • If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number.
    • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 

KarenJune_F

Thanks I'll give those a go - its disappointing to see the battery going down by 1% every couple of minutes when the machine is practically idle

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, we have another work around here. Try to lower down the battery level to 10% then charge up to 100% without using the device. Once done, set the brightness to 50%, do not connect any accessories, unplug the PSU, connect to Wi-FI and watch a High Definition Movie. Let us know how much battery life you will get.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the i3 version and I'm also noticing quick battery drain.  In fact, after installing the most recent cumulative updates, the battery icon was bugged and displayed the charging symbol even when not plugged in.  I've since deleted that particular update but maybe I'll play it safe and remove other updates aside from the security patches and firmware updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi HeyCori, have you tried installing the drivers and firmware that I recommended? And my last suggestion is is lower down the battery level to 10% then charge up to 100% without using the device. Once done, set the brightness to 50%, do not connect any accessories, unplug the PSU, connect to Wi-FI and watch a High Definition Movie? Also, how much battery are you getting? What where the applications used and the accessories connected when the battery dropped? Do you see high CPU usage in Task Manager?

Looking forward for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Battery seems to be better after uninstalling those updates.  I'll monitor it before going through all those steps.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

That's good to hear, HeyCori. Please do update us. Also, if you don't mind we would like to know on what  are those updates that you uninstalled. 

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Edd

Sorry this didn't help.

These are the updates I uninstalled -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4522355/windows-10-update-kb4522355

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517389/windows-10-update-kb4517389

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524100/oct-8-2019-kb4524100-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4522741/oct-24-2019-kb4522741-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Thanks for the details. So far, we have a progress on your concern by Karen's suggestions as you have mentioned. We hope your issue was being fix by now already.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Edd

Sorry this didn't help.