Surface Pro 7 crashes since Windows Update 2004 when I use pen and beamer

Hi!

Since I've downloaded and installed the 2004 Windows Update, my Surface Pro 7 crashes, when I use the pen in OneNote while beeing connected to a beamer. First it lags, then the screen turns black, then it shows the screen again - and back and forth. After a couple of times of this the beamer won't recognize the Surface anymore unless I reboot. All my updates are up to date, graphic card etc. 

It's driving me crazy, because I need my Surface Pro for teaching. Does anyone have any idea, how I could fix this?

Thank you!

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi D_James,

Thank you for sharing this concern of yours here in Microsoft Community. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

Is this only happening with OneNote App? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? If you had it uninstalled/reinstalled and the issue still persists, what you can initially do to troubleshoot this issue is to run the system file checker to check if there are corrupted system files that are just looping around causing the device to crash.

To do that, kindly type CMD on the search box or in Cortana next to the Windows icon and run it as administrator. Once opened, type and enter " sfc /scannow ". Let it load up until it's already complete. Then,  restart your Surface device, run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit to fix some of the common issues that may happen on a Surface device and kindly observe its performance once done.

If this helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind  Regards,

Crest

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Crest

Thank you for your advice, but it didn't help. The problem seems to originate in the dwm. exe, according to the event viewer.

It only occurs, when the screen is being duplicated - not while extended. It also only occurs - and this is even weirded - when I use the "normal color"- pen in OneNote. If I use the rainbow colors with the pen, it doesn't crash. It also doesn't crash, when I use the highlighter. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi D_James,

Thank you for your response.

Kindly reset the Surface device and see if this makes any changes. When resetting, please select keep my files so that the files won't be deleted from the Surface device.

If the issue persists, you can try to uninstall  the updates or go back to the older version of the device operating system before it was update to version 2004. To do that, go to Settings > Updates & Security > Recovery and check if the option to go back to the older version is still available. 

Kind Regards,

Crest

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear D_James and Crest_Z

Fellow teacher here and we have the exact same Problem. We are using Lenovo L390 Yoga. We have over 100 Devices deployed at our school and the problem persists with all of those devices and is 100% reproducible.

I did a lot of testing, here is a list of the findings that support what D_James wrote:

• The crashes only occur when the screen is duplicated
  • The crashes only occur when using uni color pen (all multi colored ones and highlighters work)
  • The "thing" that crashes is the Desktop Windows Manager

Here is some additional information that I discovered during my tests:

• The same crashes occur when using the Whiteboard App (same rules regarding Pen Type apply)
  • While using the OneNote für Windows 10 App if you try a few times (so dwm.exe crashes 2- 3 times) if you afterwards switch to extended, then switch back to duplicated and then restart the OneNote for Windows 10 App, it will work as intended with all Pens. But you will have a small Artifact on your screen from what you were trying to write. Usually a dot or a small line. This can't be erased and is persistent over all windows. Even if you close OneNote you will still have the artifact on your screen until you restart. After a restart you will have to do this work around again it doesn't solve the problem permanently.
  • If you try to write over and over again without giving up the graphics driver will eventually crash and your external monitor will no longer receive a signal or be recognized by windows. (Graphics card: Intel UHD Graphics 620, Driver Version: 27.20.100.8587 Latest)
  • It doesn't matter if you draw by pen, with your finger or with a mouse.
  • There are no crashes while using Windows paint, Paint.NET or Microsoft Word
  • The OneNote 2016 Version seems to work. I have not been able to reproduce the same error with that Version of OneNote. You can download it here

Conclusion:

This isn't a Problem isolated to one software or one device. I currently see two options: Maybe it's a driver Problem (idk what graphics card the Surface 7 Pro uses) but personally I doubt that. I'm updating an HP Notebook with a different graphics card and will update the test results here (UPDATE: See next Post). The second option I see is that it has something to do with "Apps". Since the Desktop version seems to work just fine and the only other software where I could reproduce the crashes (Whiteboard) is an App as well this is the only consistency I could think of. Maybe apps are handled differently by the Desktop Window Manager. The fact that only some pens are affected is really weird to me.

Until this gets fixed I suggest using the desktop Version of OneNote (2016).

Additional Information:
I have here the error Messages from the Event Log. Unfortunately they are in German. Maybe someone else with the same problem who runs an English OS can upload them in English. In the meantime I added some translation below each picture.

Overview of the 4 Entries that repeat over and over again for each time you try to write:

From top down it says: "Information", "Warning", "Information", "Error"

It says: "Name of the Application that caused an error: dwm.exe" and "Name of the Module that caused an error: KERNALBASE.dll"

It says: "Event name: APPCRASH" and on the next line "Answer: Not available"

It says: "The Desktop Window Manager Process was stopped (Process exitcode: 0xc0000602, Restartcounter: 1, ID of the primary Display Device: Inter(r) UHD Graphics 620)" (Comment: As stated above these 4 Entries repeat if you continue trying to write, this is just the first 4 entries after a restart, the counter increases every time of course.

It says: "The Session report was registered by the Desktop Window Manager."

Sorry this didn't help.

Update to my last Post

I did the test with my other Laptop and the Problem does not persist there. The other Laptop I used is a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx. It's equipped with an "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design" alongside it's Intel UHD Graphics 630 which I guess it's not using. So maybe it is the graphics driver after all? I'd be curious to know what graphics card D_James is using.

There also was some false Information in my last post. I said that Microsoft Word did not have the same issues. This was false it has the exact same issues as OneNote. I edited my last post to remove the false Information.

Sorry this didn't help.

In case anyone else stumbled upon this thread. It is a known issue with Windows 2004. Nothing you can do I guess. Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4566187/external-display-goes-black-when-you-try-to-draw-using-an-app-on-windo

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks R&B, 

the problem still exists and apparently none of the Microsoft Techs is interested in fixing it.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft

Sorry this didn't help.

@Crest_Z, 

when will there be a solution for this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Crest_Z,

I'm waiting too! 

Sorry this didn't help.

waiting too!

-> interesting fact - the problem only exists with cable connection!

If i dublicate the screen via Miracast e.g. with microsoft wirless display adapter the OneNote App works fine!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2020 Views 528 Applies to: