Surface Pro 6 Battery Drain

Hi, the battery on my new Surface Pro 6 seems to drain quite quickly.  This was only recently purchased and I need to carry a power cable around with me to work.  I try to bring my screen brightness all the way down, but it still drains very quickly.  See the steep battery drain in image attached.  The work I am doing don't drain power too much, taking notes in OneNote or editing word or PowerPoint documents.  Is this normal?  For example, over a 2.5 hour usage, battery dropped 36%.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2019 Views 1,753 Applies to:

Hi Polar Piggy,

Thank you for posting your concern here.

We really sorry for the inconvenience that has caused you on your Surface device that the battery drained so fast. We really understand this is important to you on your daily activity. There's a lot of different probable causes why this happening on your Surface device. This could be a software related issue which can be fixed by doing troubleshooting steps. This could also be a hardware related issue.

For us to better understand the concern, please answer the following below;

• Is there any changes on the Surface device before this issue happened?
  • May I know if you have tried troubleshoot on the Surface device? If yes, what are those steps?

Here are the few things we can highly suggests you do;

Step 1: We will make sure your Surface device is up-to-date. To check the updates, go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update, on the right side please tap/click the button "Check for updates" for us to know if there's any pending updates that needs to be installed on your Surface device. (Note: If there's any pending update on your Surface device, please do the update and while the Surface device is downloading/installing the updates, please do not perform any steps on your Surface device, let the Surface device completely installed the updates).

Step 2 I would like you to download and run on your device. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. The tool takes about 15-30 minutes to run. Please go to this website http://aka.ms/surfacedt 

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Mizey

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi

i want to say that i've the same issues about battery draining. and i've done any troubleshooting that you mentioned. but the problem is exist and my battery didn't serves me more than 6-7 hours in best state. if there is any other way for solving this issue please help us.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have definitely have notice a steep drop. After the latest cumulative windows 10 update, my battery life has plummeted. I am using OneNote more than before so maybe its an issue with that app, but i haven't been able to pin-point the offender yet.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a surface pro 2017 and the drain is massive... fully charged is only lasting 2hrs. I noticed this started in August 

Sorry this didn't help.

Something worth mentioning that I noticed while using OneNote, is that if I import a pdf document into the canvas-especially a large one-it taxes the system quite a lot, and I notice serious battery drainage. Furthermore, I think that with medium to heavy use in OneNote, with additional web browsing, minus the pdf document I get maybe 7.5 hours of use. Which is a bit shy of what the surface is supposed to provide, but actually is an amount that works for me.

Hope that helps,

cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.