Surface Pro 4 will not charge

My Surface Pro 4 has developed the following problem: it will not charge when the machine is turned on and the power cord is attached.  The white LED is not lit .  However if I turn the machine off, unplug and replug the power, the LED  turns on and it does charge. Until I turn the machine on ... when the LED goes off after 3 seconds, and charging stops.

Windows 10, patched up to date.  Machine is 2.5 years old.

Any ideas ?

Hi DavidStephens_MCG,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. 

This is kind of strange. Is the PSU you're using the one you received when you initially got the unit? The kind of issue may happen if you're using a PSU/charger with lower watts wherein you need to turn off the device to charge the unit or if your PSU needs to be replaced. 

Below is the list of PSU intended for Surface devices.

On the other hand, we would like to know if you have tried using a different power supply of the same watts and if the issue persists, this could be a battery problem. But, if you tried another PSU and this issue didn't exist, then this means you really need to replace the charger.

If this answers your question, please let us know by marking this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread for further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it is the original charger.  I don't have access to an alternate charger but I will get hold of one and report back.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DavidStephens_MCG,

Your welcome! My pleasure to assist. Please don't hesitate to respond to this thread or if in case another working charger is still not charging your Surface device properly, then what we can highly suggest is to reset the computer back to default settings. Resetting it back will help us determine whether the battery of your Surface is already having a hardware issue or the issue was just due to some software.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 155 Applies to: