Surface Pro 4 Screen has red and yellow burn marks and is now separating from frame on left bottom corner

I purchased the SP4 in October 2016 and went for a relatively high profile (i7, 256GB, 16GB) due to my work requirements and I was pretty happy with it. I have an external keyboard and a mouse therefore the touch screen I haven't even used it.

A month and a half ago I noticed the was a yellow mark at the left bottom of the screen plus I noticed the screen itself start separating from the surface frame (screenshots below):

The Surface Pro is not even 3 years now and I have carried a standard/normal usage of it so I decided to contact support. After a couple of tests through the booting screen (UEFI) they concluded there was a defect on the screen itself and that has to be repaired...however my product was out of warranty and therefore I had to pay more than 500€ for a refurbished replacement.

I strongly disagree with that decision because in my opinion that's a flaw in the actual manufacturing otherwise I won't believe the device can last just two years...in my opinion, Microsoft should take responsibility of this problem and make a replacement. I think I have seen on the web some cases where the SP was replaced as they understood its a product issue however the trouble here is that in my case, the problem arose after two years of usage. I still think that should be considered for a free replacement.

I hope someone at MS takes this request into consideration and help me with this issue since a product that cost nearly 2000€ cannot last less than 3 years. 

Contact support immediately. They have been replacing Surface devices with
separating screens with battery bulging if within 3 years of original purchase
date at no charge. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply Barb!

Yes, so I re-contacted Microsoft regarding that issue using the same case id I was given and I have provided the same pics + another one with the serial number. Additionally I have uploaded a video showing the screen state and serial number and all that has been submitted for review.

Let's see what they come back with...

I will post another update as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,

Carlos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2023 Views 1,627 Applies to: