Surface Pro 4: pulsing fan noise. What's the story?

I have a 3 year old Surface Pro4.  Love the device, but somewhat recently I've noticed that the fan periodically starts pulsing.  It wasn't doing this 6 months ago, but is now fairly regularly.  I've seen posts that it's a normal fan function when the "Surface is only just at the temperature to turn on the fan, but not quite." 

If this is indeed the case, cool (pun intended), but if it's a sign of a problem, please advise if I need to get the device repaired or replaced.

Thank you,

Ken

Hello KLevDC,

Thank you for reaching out Surface Community. Not sure yet if this is hardware issue but we can narrow down the root cause. May I know what applications were open every time the fan noise started? Please try each method below to see if that helps.

Method 1:

Open Task Manager and check what  program that was using up the most CPU. Something like 40% or above running in the background. Try to shut it down or End Task then restart the program. See if that helps.

Method 2:

Try restarting the Surface when the issue occurred. Also make sure the Power mode slider is set to Recommended.

Method 3:

Please run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates.

Method 4:

Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file.

• If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number. 
  • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

Method 5:

Complete reset the Surface using a USB Recovery Image. You must have at least 16GB of USB Flash drive and it must be formatted to FAT32 prior to downloading the Recovery Image. 

If all steps did not work, please contact Support to have it replaced or visit Microsoft Store if there is one near you. You can also create a repair order through your Microsoft Account

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

KarenJune_F

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2024 Views 2,688 Applies to: