Surface Pro 4 Battery Expanding

Same story, new machine. 

Screen bulge on a Surface Pro 4 (4 years old) led to finding out about the expanding battery. It was confirmed by a virtual assistant and I was told (A) to stop using the device immediately; (b) I am out of warranty; and (c) it would be US $600 to get a refurbished device with a 6 month warranty. Note: refurbished devices on Amazon and Ebay are below $300 so it doesn't make sense.

This seems like a manufacturing issue and am surprised that Microsoft is not addressing this issue properly especially given the safety issue posed (and the nightmare of Samsung Galaxys a couple years ago).

Looks like the Surfaces (especially the Surface Pro 4s) are just lemons. There was some talk about a class action suit because of flickering screens. 

I feel terrible for suggesting that my mom buy a Surface as well. She's been having issues for years, but I had thought it was an anomaly. What a nightmare. 

Has anyone had luck getting this repaired by a third party (ubreakifix) or has anyone heard rumors about any group lawsuits?

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just spoke to Ubreakifix. They don't do work on Surfaces as a policy. They've had issues when doing repairs in the past. 

Apparently, no one wants to fix these guys. 

Anyone know shops that work on surfaces in the LA area?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 28, 2021 Views 206 Applies to: