Surface pro 3 Docking Station Power Cuts Out

So here's my general situation.  I tend to use my Surface Pro 3 Docking Station as a general power supply while I'm checking mail, have streams running, all connecting to my phone's 4G WiFi The problem, however, is I'm noticing every few/several hours I'm noticing the power indicator seems to go out for no  apparent reason, no loose cables, and I end up having to unplug the cable from the back of the Docking Station, unlocking it so my Surface isn't connected to charge./supply power, (which when I do my Surface Pro 3's battery doesn't appear to be giving it more of a charge at all) and then wait about a minute or 2 for my Docking Station to power recycle or however that works.  Again, this becomes a problem for me because at home I tend to spend several hours with my Surface Pro 3 docked in my Docking Station while doing these tasks.  I'm uncertain why the power seems to cut out like this.  Can someone provide some possible nfo here?  Lave me a reply back.  thanks!

Hello Dave Eckert

Thanks for reaching out to us.  Sorry to hear you are having problems with the Surface Pro 3 and Dock.

• Can you explain the topology of the devices and accessories you have connected to Surface and the Dock? 
  • Does this experience vary based upon what is connected?
  • Does this vary based upon the apps and features that are running? 
  • When did you first notice this? 
  • Please ensure that all updates are installed, restart Surface.  Power cycle the Dock and check again.

Let us know what is happening.

Best regards 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So basically, I have Surface Pro 3 connecting to my Droid 4's WiFi hotspot app, FoxFi over a 4G service connection from Verizon.  I don't really connect anything to my Surface Pro 3 if I don't have to, maybe a USB thumbstick but I've used that on my Dock Station as well, not all the time, though.  I'm really honestly not sure how to base this with what I connect, because I rarely use the Start screen apps, maybe thigns like Bejeweled Live, Uno, etc, small apps, nothing heavy   I 1st noticed this activity going on maybe within 3-5 days of owning the Dock Station. I'm fairly certain my Surface Pro 3 is updated, it's set to automatically install them.  I've also down the power cycle thing too, unplugging the Dock and removing my Surface Pro 3 for a minute or 2, but the symptoms are still there.  I'll be able to run my Surface Pro 3 for several hours, usually using websites like Twitch and MultiTwitch, (for viewing multiple twitch streams and chats) e-mail checking, YouTube, etc.  That's about it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave Eckert

Ok, let's start with the updates. 

• Connect all accessories, as you would operate normally
  • Manually check for and install all updates
  • Restart Surface and check / install again.  Do this until no further updates remain
  • With everything still connected and powered up, unplug the power supply for the Dock.  Wait for about a minute, then plug the power back in
  • Restart Surface, manually check for and install any updates again.  Restart and check again

Does your experience vary based on the accessories physically connected to Surface and the Dock?

Does running particular apps or using certain features seem to precede this happening? 

Best regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've already updated both before and after the previous response  There aren't any updates for my Surface Pro 3 currently, my udats are already up to that point since yesterday when i posted.  Tried the power cycle thing with the dock station, the symptoms are still occurring.  For the most  don't use any accessories on my Surface Pro 3 or my dock station, only a USB memory stick once in a while, but I don't keep it plugged in.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave Eckert

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said you were relying on automatic updates for your Surface, and that you power cycled the Dock with Surface undocked.

Without being able to determine what accessory (none) or app/function may be contributing to this behavior, this is going to be difficult to troubleshoot.

Does this happen even if Surface is not in use?  Restart Surface, followed by a full shut down and start.  With Surface idle and no activity from start, does this still happen?

Does the time to power down seem consistent when it happens?  Does it regularly happen regardless of using Surface?

Best regards 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no idea if it happens while my Surface pro 3 isn't in use because by that point it's turned off.  As far as I know, when powered down and only charging it's never happened, and this sort of thing has never happened while only sing the provided power supply charger for the Surface Pro 3 itself during regular use.  I don't think it happens after shutting down and restarting with it only being idle, though I'm uncertain because I've never done that, but because it seems like at least a few hours before I notice the Dock Station light indicator not lit I wouldn't expect it to do it in such short time.   As for powering down, I'm confused, are yo asking about my Surface Pro 3 powering down?  Because nothing seems different then the way it wold normally lose power without a charge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the power to the docking station is cutting out.  I have checked the connections and purchased a new power supply.  Using the new power supply did not resolve the issue, so now having two power supplies, the most logical issue is the docking station itself.  Any suggestions?  This has been going on for months.  There is nothing unusual about the configuration, in fact, initially it was only being used as a holder to keep it upright.  now it is used with an Ethernet to the printer.  The only comment I can make is that the small white light does go out as an indication.  We unplug the power supply from the wall to reset it, and that generally works.  The power supply never seems to get too hot, but also, when we realize the light is out, the power supply would have shut down, and therefore begun to cool off, so it could be hot and fail/shut down as  result. But, we have two of the power supplies and the problem was not resolved, hence our suspicion that it is the dock itself.  Help?  Suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my mind the question about the docking station is still an open issue, however this most recent issue is the power cord, not the docking station.  The end of the power cord was coming apart and did so in my hand.  unfortunately it was plugged into the wall outlet and gave me a small burn on my finger.  As I looked more critically at the design, I see that the small plug end is apt to disconnect and seems to be part of the general problem with the docking station.  I will post a bit more tomorrow after I have a chance to look again at the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi paul_787.

According to your description, we will suggest reaching out to our assisted support right away for further assistance.

Kind regards,

Clare

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The power cord was the issue.  It has been over a month and the power has not been an issue.  In my case you needed to look very closely at the connector before you could see the bad connection. All I can say is be very suspect of the cord end at the computer and/or the docking station.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2021 Views 1,541 Applies to: