Surface laptop 3 power port compatibility

Hi
assuming that i have this connector( a picture of it is below👇) , which is compatible to transfer data up to 40Gbit/s, will the power port on my surface laptop 3 be able to transfer this much of data? In other words can i in that case run an eGPU on my surface 3 ?

Hi, AnasAsharaf!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community and posting your inquiry. 

The Surface Laptop 3 has connectors for USB-C® which supports vast majority of peripherals that is used to preserve maximum battery life. From what I know, external GPU docks primary uses the Thunderbolt™ technology which Surface devices don't have.

If this answers your question, please let our Community know by marking this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if there’s anything else that needs to be addressed. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z     

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No. External GPUs require a Thunderbolt port, which is the same shape as USB-C. No Surface device has a Thunderbolt port to date.
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2022 Views 73 Applies to: