Surface Laptop 3 overheats in Sleep mode (Windows 11)

I have a very specific problem with my Surface Laptop 3. Ever since updating it to Windows 11 there is a problem when I put the laptop into sleep mode and leave it connected to the power supply. The unit overheats and will only cool down if you turn it on again and start using it.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong or how to troubleshoot this.

I am concerned that if I accidentally leave it unattended for any length of time it could catch fire.

I've now done a bit of research and have come to the following conclusion:

Modern Standby mode allows background processes to run even when in sleep mode, many of these are tasks which have a condition set so that they only run if AC power is connected - some of these include indexing tasks.

I think that in Sleep mode these tasks are running when the power is connected and the CPU activity generates the heat. My guess is that during sleep mode the fan does not run and therefore it just gets very hot. There needs to be a firmware update that allows the fan to run when in sleep mode with the AC power connected.

Currently, the only solution I have found for this is to remember not to use sleep mode when the AC power is connected. In battery power mode there is never a problem.

Phil C

One good turn deserves another!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2024 Views 382 Applies to: