Surface Go boot from USB

Can anyone explain to me what are the technical reasons that Surface Go (eMMC version) UEFI refuses to directly boot any EFI USB other than that with a Windows OS on it? Is this the typical Evil Corporation routine by Microsoft (jk) or is there a genuine firmware mistake/bug?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, assume you wanna install a Linux OS on your Surface Go, what's your first impulse? You create a bootable USB with Rufus, you insert it in the USB-C slot and you turn on your system while holding down the volume-down button to toggle the alternate-boot sequence (that's of course enabled in your firmware). This doesn't seem to boot anything other than whatever OS is installed on your system, not the LiveUSB.

You think that's weird, but OK. You boot into your firmware settings and change the boot order manually, setting the USB on top. You boot up, but - alas! - USB still won't boot. Finally you boot up your Windows and go to advanced restart. From there you try to boot from USB, and yet again if you try selecting the option to boot from EFI USB the system will simply reboot into the OS already on your Surface.

You do the advanced restart again but this time instead of EFI USB you select the weird named option Linpus Lite - and finally you boot from your Linux USB (Which is any distro - I tried with Ubuntu, Fedora and PopOS!).

The above jumping though hoops demonstrates that Surface Go doesn't boot Linux bootable USBs directly for some reason. I wanna know the technical reason why. By the way, this has got nothing to do with Secure Boot as it can be turned on or off, it doesn't matter.

Hi Igor Kobzev,

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community.

Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32? What is total capacity of the USB drive used?

Please try these steps to boot the device from a USB Storage:

Boot the device to its UEFI screen

Go to Boot configuration

Move USB Storage option on top

Swipe USB Storage option from left to right

A prompt to Boot this device immediately should appear, click on OK

Please note that installing third party operating system on the device voids its warranty. The warranty applies only if the device is used with the Microsoft operating system preinstalled on the device or any contemporaneous  or later version of that operating system. See: Warranties , extended service plans and Terms & Conditions for your device.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Marrion

Yes, the USB is formatted to FAT32. I tried this with two different sticks of different sizes: 128GB and 8GB, to the same effect. My UEFI version is 1.0.30, so I guess it doesn't have the option to boot into the USB by swiping from left to right. When I do that nothing happens.

Also, not a problem with warranty. My device is over 1 year old so the warranty is expired anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

By the way, upon further tinkering, with efibootmgr I was able to ascertain that whenever a non-Windows bootable USB gets inserted, there appears a new efi boot entry named 'Linpus Lite', but when a Windows bootable USB gets inserted, no new boot entry appears; instead the always-present 'EFI USB drive' boot entry is the Win bootable USB entry. Why is that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 6,314 Applies to: