Surface Dock keeps disconnecting/reconnecting USB devices with Surface Book 2

Hi 

I just bought a Surface Book 2 and a surface dock.

The dock is connected to 2 monitors and USB keyboard (Razer Huntsman Elite) and mouse Razer Hyperflux Mamba/Firefly.

Both keep disconnecting/reconnecting randomly. Mostly when running games, but sometimes also when running office application.

I have reinstalled the Surface Dock Firmware updater but it doesn't help.

I have done the latest updates, but it doesn't help either.

I cannot find much info in the event viewer, but SurfaceDockFwUpdate errors (event ID 2005 2006 and 2007).

Any ideas where this could come from?

This is becoming ridiculous, it sometimes disconnects every 5-10 sec.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Amazing! I wonder if someone from MS is reading this. I used to be an MS employee, and in my days, this kind of disaster was paid with the job. I guess that the old Steve Ballmer "mantra" is still there:  "if your business unit is making more than 1 billion, then you are in a serious business". Guess what... all the money and priorities go there regardless of how strategic it can be for the future. Surface is not a serious business, so no serious effort is behind it as it has been for a very long list of products and services...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So I got the new Surface Dock 2: few surprises (good and bad).

1) monitor connections are now only using USB-C, so I had to purchase USB-C to HDMI cables

2) only 2 USB3 connections on the dock, my mouse and keyboard take 3 USB3, so I had to buy a USB3 to USB-C adapter

3) monitors are not working properly (one stays black, the other one displays whenever it wants)

4) the only short tests I could do regarding USB disconnection are good, as I don't have anymore disconnection.

Technically my problem is solved, but since my monitors are not working anymore, I guess this is not OK.

I have called the MS support, they're exchanging the dock 2, so I'll make a new update in few weeks, when I'll get the new one.

To be continued...

Would have thought MS should get their display issues sorted out with Dock 2, alas!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just started having the same issue. I reboot and usually it goes away for a few hours or a day, then comes back.  I don't think it is the surface doc as i have a surface charger for my SB2 15" and it still drops my hard drive (USB) on occasion over and over.  The problem is it thinks the tablet detaches and re-attaches over and over.  I cleaned the connecters and it went away, then happened again today.  I think in many cases the issue is the tablet quickly losing connectivity with the base, dropping the doc and base USBs then reconnecting. 

Searching on this problem, it can happen when the CPU spikes apparently.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you only have a USB disk attached to your dock? 

If you have monitors and they don't disconnect, then I don't think it's the SB2 that is detaching. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thomas, I stop connecting my Mouse/keyboard USB to the Dock during the last 2 weeks and I never have this problem again. It is definitively the Dock.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is definitely the dock.  I get this to happen when I have anything more than a mouse/keyboard plugged into the dock (such as an external DAC).  When the computer and/or video gets loaded down (gaming) the USB drops and the events for the dock reconnect show up in EventLog.  I never lose video to my external monitors.  Only the USB.  It seems as if the dock can't handle the bandwidth needed or something.

If I have my DAC plugged directly into the surface book I don't see this behavior.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I am not so sure that it is the docks.

I have used the MS dock v1, which takes eveything out the power magnetic strip socket, and i have used this with little problem. However, when i connect an non-MS multiport devise to the USB-C port, i have all the problems of constant connections and disconnections. I have 3 of these, and they all behave the same.

In my opinion, this is something to do with power being restricted to the USB ports by software settings somewhere.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are all correct - it is indeed the dock.  What a mess.  I have two of these things.  what a waste of money...  has anyone proven its fixed with the new Dock?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately I think it is the Dock.  My USB-C port failed 6 months ago unfortunately and is no longer working at all for charge or output .  The Dock and proprietary connector system is a mess.  I can't believe they kept it for the SB3.  that will stop me from buying it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed the Surfacedock doesn't supply enough power under load being the issue. "BUT" I have found some sort of a Work Around Fix/Experiment. I work for a company were about 75 of us use Surfacebooks. For the most part, about 75% of the time, everyone is running connected to the Surfacedock. On top of that, half of them are running connected to four 23" monitors without issue. ALL without issue "Except me"!!! 

Sines COVID, I have been working from home using two external 23" monitors & my Surfacebook monitor on/lid up. At times, it was disconnecting  a few times an hour. It was driving me crazy. I have tried allot of the advised work a round fixes. Like most of you, without any continued luck.

I have another work around that allows me to work uninterrupted, which I'll get into later. "BUT" try this, if running (like me) with external monitors and your Surfacebook lid/monitor up, "CLOSE the Surfacebook LID"!! Just run off the external monitors. I get it, sometimes you can't but try it at least as an experiment. It has been a few hours now, without any disconnects. It is acting like it is the Surfacebook monitor that was drawing the most power (from what I am experiencing). Again, this is not a fix. Probably, much like you, I would like to used my Surfacebook webcam. Which I have an external USB webcam lying around. I will try it & report back.

Mind you MICROSOFT, this is completely ridiculous!!! That this post string continues with suggestions & workarounds. All, so we can use our Surfacebook with some form of normalcy. If there was ever a case for a recall of defective product (being the Surfacedock)THIS IS THAT ONE!!!

I also have my USB wired keyboard & mouse plugged into an external powered USB hub, plugged into the only available USB port on Surfacebook. I am afraid to try plugging keyboard & mouse into Surfacedock & test it. After a day or two without issue, I'll try it & report back.

Hopefully this helps some of you regain some form of normalcy, after so many wasted hours of lost productivity.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2021 Views 7,869 Applies to: