Surface Dock 2 Display Problem

Dear Microsoft-Team,

Dear Community,

I recently got the brand-new Surface Dock 2 for my home office. I try connecting it with my Surface Pro 7 and a Samsung C34J791 (LC34J791WTUXEN) monitor with the supplies USB-C cable from Samsung which came with the monitor.

Windows is recognising the monitor fine, it shows up in the screen settings.

But the display is not showing any images, it just keeps switching through the inputs to find a proper signal and after some time the monitor goes into sleep mode as it could not find a signal.

If I now connect the display to the Surface Pro 7 directly with the same cable it works just fine and I can see the desktop on the Samsung monitor.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind assistance and have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Julian

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, Swiss Julian!

Thanks for reaching out to Microsoft Community and posting your concerns. We are sorry to learn that your Samsung monitor will not show a display when connected to your Surface Pro 7 via the Surface Dock 2. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this and allowing us to help you out.

Thanks for noting that the monitor works fine when directly connected to the Surface Pro 7 using the same USB-C cable that came with the monitor. That helps us isolate the issue here. If I may ask, did you try all USB-C ports on the Surface Dock 2 to test which would work? Also, please ensure that either of the 2 ports in the back are the ones you plug in your cable. Kindly try plugging in the cable to either of the 2 USB-C ports located at the back of the monitor as well. See which of them will work with the USB-C display ports as shown below.

We hope this helps you out. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if there’s anything else that needs to be addressed. 

Kind regards,

Janette_Z

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Janette_Z,

thanks a lot for your kind answer. i really appreciate your assistance!

I indeed forgot to mention that I also tried both USB-C ports on the Surface Dock 2 and both ports on the monitor as well, in each possible combination 👍

I also tried to update the display drivers with the latest version from Intel‘s homepage, and I also tried it with the drivers for the monitor.

BTW, as the dock arrived this morning, it showed up no update in Windows update.

I hope you can now isolte the problem even further and provide a solution quickly, as I would love to use my big monitor with the Surface Pro 7 in my homeoffice.

Have a great evening, take care and enjoy your weekend!

All the best,

Julian.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Swiss Julian!

We understand you want to use the Surface Dock 2 to connect your Surface Pro 7 and Samsung monitor. Thanks for the response and informing us that you tried all ports in any way possible. Can you try to download the Surface Dock 2 update manually? Please go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101317 and select either SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.26905.0.msi or SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.29700.0.msi

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Janette_Z,

thanks a lot for your kind message. Unfortunately, only the file "SurfaceDock2_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.054.29469.0.msi" is working for my Surface Pro 7. The files you mentioned give an error message back:

and:

After I ran the file "SurfaceDock2_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.054.29469.0.msi" nothing happened. How can I check if the update was installed? Do I need to run with admin settings?

Thanks in advance for your further advice and have a good evening!

All the best,

Julian.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Julian!

May we know if your monitor is this one on this link? As for the update .msi files, you downloaded the following and it will not work on your Surface Pro 7 since it tells you that it only works for specific files below, right?

SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.26905.0.msi >>> Surface Go

SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.29700.0.msi >>> Surface Book 3, Surface Laptop 1/2, Surface Pro, Surface Pro 6

As for the SurfaceDock2_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.054.29469.0.msi file, you ran it and have you tried running it after installing?

Press Windows, search for Surface Dock Updater Tool to see if it was installed in your device.
Then follow the prompts when the tool launches.

Can you also tell us which port you plugged in the cable that allowed display directly from the Surface Pro 7?

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Janette,

Thanks for your rapid answer. No, the exact model of my monitor is C34J791WTU.

I used the USB-C cable provided with the monitor to connect it to the USB-C port on the Surface Pro 7. It works with both USB-C ports on the monitor without any hassle.

The Surface Dock Updater Tool is obviously not present in my computer/ I cannot execute a program file named like this:

But it has created a folder in "C:\Program Files\SurfaceUpdate\SurfaceDock2FwUpdate". Herein are several .bin, a .cat and a .inf file:

Thanks a lot for your further help.

All the best,

Julian.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Julian! 

Apologies for the confusion. Thanks for trying out the SEMM file, that is the one that works for the Surface Pro 7. Based on the DETAILS of the drivers, it shows the following:

Compatible host devices for SurfaceDock2_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.054.29469.0.msi

• Surface Pro 7
  • Surface Laptop 3
  • Surface Book 3

Compatible host devices for SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.26905.0.msi

• Surface Go
  • Surface Go 2

Compatible host devices for SurfaceDock2_DriverOnly_Win10_17763_20.054.29700.0.msi

• Surface Pro 6
  • Surface Pro (5th Gen)
  • Surface Laptop 2
  • Surface Laptop 1
  • Surface Book 2

Compatible host devices for SurfaceDock2_SurfaceProX_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.053.18210.0.msi

• Surface Pro X

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Janette,

thanks for your answer. I installed the correct update file SurfaceDock2_SEMMforDock_Win10_17763_20.054.29469.0.msi

As I found out in the meantime through different forum pages on the web, the problem is persistent since the Surface Dock 1. You can read it here in German: https://www.surfaceinside.de/surface-dock-updater-neue-version-neues-update/ Please see the comments in the bottom page.

Obviously, the problem cannot be solved properly and it is also occurring in DisplayPort connections.

So the last thing I will try is ordering a USB-C to HDMI adapter from Microsoft and connect the monitor with HDMI (I will lose the USB ports on the monitor then, but I have to cope with that).

If you could please forward to the team, that cares for the Surface Dock, that they should provide a proper firmware update tool, where the user is getting better feedback if the update is done or failed, I would appreciate that.

If the HDMI adapter does not help either, I will have to return the Dock and buy one from HP or Lenovo instead (although I would not like that).

Thanks anyway for your assistance and have a great day! Stay safe!

All the best,

Julian.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Julian!

Thanks for your quick responses. Is this your monitor? We need to make sure we are looking into the actual model. Would it be fine for you to post a link from the official manufacturer's website if the link I shared is not the one you have. 

We have noted your concerns on this Surface Dock 2 issue you have. As for the Surface Dock 2 firmware and drivers, there's no need to execute a file since you installed the updates via .msi file, apologies again for this. We appreciate your participation here, by the way.

There's a possibility there's a need for a specific cable that is compatible with the Surface Dock 2 to connect it to your monitor. We have the same plan in mind regarding the cable though. Is it possible to use a USB-C to HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort cable? Maybe you have one there in your home. What cables do you have there at home that we can try out? We hope that you have some other cables there that will let your monitor show a display via the Surface Dock 2. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Janette,

how are you doing today?

Yes, this is my monitor. In the meantime, I already tried it with a USB-C to USB-C cable from a different brand, it worked with my Surface Pro 7 but noch with the Surface Dock 2.

Also, I ordered the Microsoft active USB-C to HDMI adapter, and - surprise, surprise - now it is working. I have a screen on the Samsung monitor.

Although this is strange, and I had to spend another 47 CHF for the adapter, finally it is working and I can cope with that.

Anyway, I find it very strange that Microsoft is not able to provide a solution for this since the v1 of the Surface Dock (where it often did not work for the Mini-DP to DP connection, according to the many voices on the internet). Please, kindly forward my issues together with a kind inquiry for improvement on the software side to the team working on this topic.

I'll look twice into purchasing more Surface Dock 2 for my co-workers, as I wanted to... I think I'll have to advise them to look into a different brand this time... What a pity!

Have a great day and a nice holiday tomorrow.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Julian.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 16, 2023 Views 14,574 Applies to: