Surface Dock 2 Compatibility

I have a Surface, Thinkpad, and Dell laptop and a surface dock 2. In previous questions and responses I have read that the Dock 2 is meant solely for use with Surface laptops quoting firmware limitations.

For confirmation, is there a firmware or a hardware/connector limitation? If I were to use a female surface connector to male USB C adapter to connect another brand/model of laptop would the Surface Dock 2 deny function based on firmware limitations detecting non-Surface computer input? I am attempting to bypass the connector limitation so that I don't need to utilize multiple docking stations for my 3 laptops when USB C exists.

Side note: proprietary connectors used to have a purpose but are now majorly inconvenient. Not supporting a largely open-source industry that has had hardware and firmware standards for decades is craziness. Please stop, we're buying your stuff. You don't need to be like this.

Hi Aidan_967,

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community. I understand that you have concerns regarding the compatibility of Surface Dock 2 with non-Surface laptops.

To answer your first question, the limitation is primarily due to firmware. The Surface Dock 2 is designed to work with Surface devices, and the firmware is optimized for Surface devices.

Regarding your second question, using a female Surface connector to male USB-C adapter to connect another brand/model of laptop may not work as expected. The Surface Dock 2 may not function correctly due to firmware limitations detecting non-Surface computer input. It is recommended to use the Surface Dock 2 with Surface devices only.

As for your side note, we appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns. Microsoft is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers, and we continuously evaluate our products and services to meet their needs. You may submit this feedback to Microsoft through our feedback hub. See: Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app - Microsoft Support

To summarize, the Surface Dock 2 is primarily designed to work with Surface devices, and the firmware is optimized for Surface devices. While it is compatible with other laptops that have USB-C ports, the functionality may be limited. It is recommended to use the Surface Dock 2 with Surface devices only.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Marrion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 497 Applies to: