Surface devices (Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 3) cannot connect to Wi-Fi using Synology RT2600RT when configured to use WPA2/WPA3 Personal

I'm looking to roll out WPA3 as its supported on our routers/access points but there is an issue with Surface devices. When configured to use when configured to use WPA2/WPA3 Personal (mixed) Surface devices cannot connect to the wireless network. Other devices such as phones (Lumia 950, Android and iPhone) connect without issue so I suspect this is to do with either the current builds of Windows 10 (18362.239) or the wireless  Marval Avastar driver (15.68.9127.58). 

It doesn't appear that Windows 10 currently supports WPA3 as no mention in change logs for the April 2019 update so it should be falling back to WPA2 so other devices can connect using WPA3. We are still holding our breaths for TLS1.3 and DNS over HTTPS for other security related technologies.

The known network config was deleted and recreated without success.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and if so is there a fix/workaround or it this a known issue as others seems to have the same issue on the Feedback Hub (of course as usual there is no correspondance from Microsoft on this).

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 297 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm dealing with the same issue, supporting several Surface Book 2's at our office. Most of the devices have been updated to Windows 10 version 1903 (build 18362.356), while one is still on version 1803.

The device on which I've been testing is a newly-factory reset Surface Book 2 with version 1903 and Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller driver version 15.68.17013.110, dated 6/25/2019.

The device that has been updated to 1903 can no longer connect to our wifi network with WPA2 enabled, while the one on 1803 is still able to connect. If I turn off WPA2 on the wireless network, the devices are again able to connect to the network.

Has there been any indication from Microsoft/Marvell that a fix will be published for this? I'm loathe to downgrade the security on our office wifi, but having a chunk of our devices unable to connect is unacceptable, and frankly it's disappointing that QA missed this, as it's a Microsoft product.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I saw this message come through while I was on the phone to Microsoft about this case. I was told the guy would speak to his supervisor and get back to me.

Since looking the case with Microsoft back in July I've spoken to them a number of times repeating the exact same symptoms and each time the close the case to which I reply "don't close the case". I've also made it perfectly clear that corporations that use Microsoft Surface devices are unable to deploy WPA3.

Just checking your issue related to WPA3 or are you having issues with WPA2? I have no issues using WPA2 providing I don't also enable the WPA3 option on the routers.

Sorry this didn't help.

On the 1903 devices, is there an option to roll back to the previous driver? Take a look at show/hide updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

(I cannot get any kind of response from Microsoft on the timing of a fixed driver and believe me, I have been trying).

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

@TDCaffelli 

Roll back the Marvell Avastar Wireless_AC Network Controller driver to version 15.68.9127.58 Dated 11/16/18. In my case this worked for the Surface Laptop and the Surface Pro 4. Our network does not have WPA3. While troubleshooting I found if using a docking station and connected to the internal network, unplugging and connecting to the internal wireless (sane network) would fail to connect. I tested this on other networks with the same issue. Roll back the driver was the only solution. The driver was installed during the last firmware update. I hope that helps.  

Sorry this didn't help.