"Surface Detach: Hardware Failure" but no apparent fault

I've been receiving the above message for the past few weeks but haven't been able to find a problem.

I ran the troubleshooter from the 'click here' in the red error box but this didn't find anything wrong.

I also separately ran the troubleshooter for the power as I did notice the battery had seemed to have drained quickly. Again, no problem identified.

The screen detaches and reattaches without any apparent problem.

Any ideas?

It just seems odd that the computer seems to think it has detected a problem but then doesn't seem to know what it is :P

Answer
Answer

Hi Edward, 

This issue could be related to a software or a hardware failure. In order to resolve it, we would need to go through several steps so please bear with us. For now, we suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it resolves the issue.

Perform this shutdown process to make sure your Surface is completely turned off. 

Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (this takes about 20 seconds), then release the power button. 

Clean the connectors on your Surface Book. Here’s how: 

1. Detach the Clipboard from the keyboard. 

2. Wet a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. (Use 95% isopropyl alcohol or higher if possible.) Clean the silver pins on both faces of the three connectors located on the top middle surface of the keyboard hinge. Rub the cotton swab back and forth vigorously to clean the pins. Use a fresh swab surface to clean each of the connector faces (six in total). 

3. After you're done, make sure the pins are dry and that there are no cotton fibers on the connector. Reattach the Clipboard to the keyboard. 

Keep your device updated. You may refer to this article for the Surface Book 2 update history. 

Ensure that the Clipboard and keyboard are securely attached. 

Push the Clipboard down onto the keyboard with moderate pressure to attach the keyboard more securely. Note: The Detach key flashes a green light if the Clipboard and keyboard aren’t connected properly. 

Let us know how it turns out.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 7,384 Applies to: