Surface book; Screen bulging and popping out from the sides; replacement question

Team, I had been noticing my screen bluging slightly to the extent that the laptop did not properly close because of it. In the past week, the bulge has become noticably bigger and the screen has started popping out from the sides.

My product warrant expired in 2017 so i called up the contact centre to understand the issue. I was told to pay over EUR 640 to order a replacement as the battery inside has been swelling up

For a product of this pricing, it is disappointing to have the lithium battery having such a short life and creating safety hazards. I would have expected the Microsoft team to offer either a free replacement for this product or an attractive upgrade option as at pay USD 700 for a 5 year old product when clearly there is a build issue is not fair. 

Not sure how to get through regarding this so if any of you guys have gone through the process, let me know

Hi MB_UAE,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We're sorry to know what happen to your Surface device.

For any expanding battery issue/bulging screen, this is subject for replacement and a free replacement will be provided if in case the device is still within 3 years from the time it was purchased. Since you already contacted support and stated that you're using the device for 5 years, unfortunately, the free replacement you would like to happen is not going to be possible. However, if you still would like to re-consider getting a replacement for this unit, feel free to contact support for further assistance.

If this addresses your concern, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you still need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi 

I had indeed contacted support to explain that my warranty expired 15/8/2017 and I have been using the laptop for precisely 3.5 years (as against the 5 years quoted). I would really expect Microsoft to replace this device as clearly it is a manufacturing defect and no Li batteries should be swelling up and unusable within a 3.5 year period especially for a premium device that the surface book is priced to be. 

I understand that i am just over the 3 year threshold you may have decided but I hope you understand the frustration of a customer who paid upwards of $2000 for a product 3 years back.

Look forward to a positive response on this. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MB_UAE,

Thank you for the immediate response.

As much as we would like to get it done for you, unfortunately, we can't do replacement here in the Community. What we do here instead are to address concerns that need further troubleshooting intended for Surface devices that are having software issues and recommend users what else can be done to get there concerns taken cared of. So if you want to re-raise this concern and check if your free replacement request will be granted, feel free to contact support. 

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My pleasure to assist. 

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem here and actually it started to happen just a few weeks back. It raised a serious concern of safety as I frequently used the laptop in a lab with chemicals like IPA. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I reconnected with the customer care help desk and after waiting for 20 mins in a queue was "greeted" by Simon, who was unhelpful to the extent that he hung up the phone on me. 

I had offered him to either offer a free replacement or give me the EUR 640 credit against an updated product than the same faulty product which is now 5 years dated! 

He seemed pretty unhappy at my attempt to get a free replacement saying that i had used the product for a full 0.5 months over the 3 year threshold. I reminded him of how customers in the US had been successful with this and this is absolutely the right expectation when i paid over 2500 bucks for this!!

I am absolutely appalled - at this moment I dont care about the product and nor a replacement. My business is going to a competitor but while I do that, is there an escalation process where i could lodge a complaint regarding what i consider is pathetic customer service and a faulty product?

Please never re-direct me to the "help" desk which is anything but helpful.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MB_UAE,

Thank you for re-escalating your request. I know how inconvenient it was on your end, unfortunately, since you have this concern re-raised and you were still advised to pay for the replacement cost, then this simply means to say that your request to get a free replacement is not going to  possibly happen. And as mentioned, as much as I would like to have it processed for you, unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it. We really apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2024 Views 2,610 Applies to: