Surface Book 3 is OVERHEATING !!!

Recently I replaced my Surface Pro 4 due to overheating and bulging of the screen for a brand new Surface Book 3. Now, after only one hour connected to the docking station, I've noticed the screen is VERY HOT again. This behavior for sure will end up in a screen damage once again. Is Microsoft aware of this issue?. Have them learned the lesson after hundred of complaints related to bulging in the SP4 screen?. Is it possible to pause battery charge while connected to docking station? I demand for a quick solution or my money back since I gave Microsoft a vote of confidence buying another surface instead of going with another brand with no issues due to overheating. By the way, I posted this discussion under Safety and Security topic since my top-glass desk broke up due to the Surface Pro 4 overheating, causing me injuries on my legs and physical damage on some of the devices placed over the desktop.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am on my 5th or 6th Surface -- each the top model as it came out, passing down the last to another staff member. I have bought several others -- so enamored eith them that I replaced desktops with them. 

Then they started locking up and overheating. At first I thought I was just putting them through too much stress. But the truth is sad: they just don't hold up. iPads can't really be used in lieu of iMacs so why in the world would MS think they could one-up the almighty orchard folks? 

Either way, once they start to overheat, there's no coming back. You had better come up with a Plan B...sadly, you're close to needing one. 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I have the same issue, but only after upgrading to 2004. It worked flawlessly before upgrading. The first time it happened was the night I upgraded to 2004 and it hasn't been able to be plugged in while on since then. It woke me up in the middle of the night spinning and super hot to the touch. It was across the room on my desk. The lid was closed and I had only Outlook and Teams open. When I opened the lid it had a BSOD from overheating. It was plugged in with the stock charger that comes with it. I then ordered a brand new Surface USB-C dock (2), and I'm facing the same issue with it.

Unplugged, it works fine no matter what I'm doing or have plugged in to the USB ports (including USB-C to DisplayPort 4K monitor, Jabra dongle, and Logitech external keyboard dongle. I also have a Bluetooth Surface mouse connected). Any time it's plugged in to power for even 5 minutes - it starts heating up like a hot plate. I've been shutting it down to charge it, then working until it dies....I'm sure my employer will understand....

All updates are installed. Current branch M365 Apps.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Selecting the "Recommended" Power mode seems to have mitigated the overheating issue for me. It was previously set to "Best performance" when plugged in but "Recommended" when unplugged (I have never experienced the overheating issue while unplugged), so I thought it was worth a try based on feedback on the Surface Book 2 found here: link

Again, I'd like to note that my issues were experienced only after my upgrade to the 2004 version of Windows 10. Prior to that, I did not experience the overheating issues, but encountered them consistently after the upgrade. Hopefully Microsoft can fix this soon so we can use the best performance mode.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been experiencing this since I got my Surface Book 3, actually I was hoping it would get better with the 2004 update, but it didnt. In Summer happened specially often. I started to unplug the cable once the battery is fully charged. Today, in the middle of a fu***n meeting, my laptop overheated and I got a Blue Screen while presenting something. Worst yet, I had to wait a few minutes to be able to turn it back on because all I got was the temperature warning screen that prevented me from starting the computer. I think this is unacceptable for such an expensive laptop. I rather have noisy fans when I need a bit cooling than this behaviour. I looked for a solution before but now I will just try to get it back and get my money back and get a MacBook

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apparently the Microsoft fix is to go into UEFI and set battery limit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/battery-limit

This stops the battery charging above 50%, reduces heating and *may* prolong its longevity. What will happen is the base charges to 100% and the screen to 50%.  It will mean that you will get a shorter time when you are not plugged in.  Given the battery life is shockingly low anyway it probably isn't a major problem.

David 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After last update of firmware and drivers https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101315 (6th Nov 2020) heating rapidly goes down.

From approx 65-70°C to 45-50°C during same load and power option settings - max performance.

Charging via SurfaceDock v1.

Hopefully it's fixed and we can work without melting SurfaceBook 3 screen.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After last update of firmware and drivers https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101315 (6th Nov 2020) heating rapidly goes down.

From approx 65-70°C to 45-50°C during same load and power option settings - max performance.

It's not so true. Still keeping about 60°C....whille if I am using SFBook 3 without connected to Surface Dock v1 it heating only about 30-40°C

Based on CoreTemp 1.16 even load is lower than connected to Surface Dock v1.

Microsoft should focus on this as SFBook is not cheap device for administration workers. It device for pros! So give them services for pros.

We can compare firmware or at least inform MSFT that this firmware with W10 (10.0.19042.610) is really cause of heating of our Surfacebook

Firmware:
      Surface Book Base v3 Firmware Update              5.2.139.0
      Surface ME                                        13.0.1319.8
      Surface Pen Cfu Over Ble LC Connection            1.18.139.0
      Surface SMF                                       1.0.23.1
      Surface Storage Firmware Update                   6.14.139.0
      Surface System Aggregator                         10.102.139.0
      Surface Touch Firmware                            4.0.211.139
      Surface TPM                                       7.2.1.0
      Surface UEFI                                      6.19.140.0

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not so true. Still keeping about 60°C....whille if I am using SFBook 3 without connected to Surface Dock v1 it heating only about 30-40°C

Based on CoreTemp 1.16 even load is lower than connected to Surface Dock v1.

Microsoft should focus on this as SFBook is not cheap device for administration workers. It device for pros! So give them services for pros.

We can compare firmware or at least inform MSFT that this firmware with W10 (10.0.19042.610) is really cause of heating of our Surfacebook

Firmware:
      Surface Book Base v3 Firmware Update              5.2.139.0
      Surface ME                                        13.0.1319.8
      Surface Pen Cfu Over Ble LC Connection            1.18.139.0
      Surface SMF                                       1.0.23.1
      Surface Storage Firmware Update                   6.14.139.0
      Surface System Aggregator                         10.102.139.0
      Surface Touch Firmware                            4.0.211.139
      Surface TPM                                       7.2.1.0
      Surface UEFI                                      6.19.140.0

Unfortunately Overheating become to level that my SF Book stuck and I had to goes down it. 2 times during 2hrs

So, looks like is even worst than before!

I am using CoreTemp

Reaching 100% as Tjmax is easy! See screenshot enclosed.

I have lid opened, near by window.

In this weather condition I can open window, but its crazy as solution for device for $2500 and more.

Defintely root cause is connection with docking station. I am sure. Firmware issue as big as it's crazy!

I've tried use SFBook3 as notebook for whole day, only... temp did not go above 70°C ... while I've been doing same work as connected via docking station.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not understand why SurfaceBook 3 has option download newest big update of Win10 (20H2) - version 10.0.19042.630

But https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101315 official drivers/firmare download page offers software only for Win10 10.0.18362 version!

There should be (better - has to be) update for 19042(20H2) really soon!

Still 45-50°C while doing nothing.

About 75-85°C doing regular office work.

I have to keep lid opened for avoid reach 100°C as TjMax

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One way to easily lower temperatures would be to undervolt the CPU via Throttlestop, but it has been disabled through a random windows 10 update due to Plundervolt even though the surface book 3 is immune to this attack vector.... come on microsoft please!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 14,017 Applies to: