Surface Book 3 headphone buzzing

Anyone else notice the buzzing in headphones plugged into the jack? 

It starts when you play something and stops about 1 min after that your playing stops. Then if you resume what you're playing, it starts again.

All updates applied.

Tried to pull the jack out a little bit (to find a sweet spot where it doesn't buzz anymore, but can't stop it.

I have the 13" version.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi JunioJr,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

To initially troubleshoot this issue, what I would like you to do is to uninstall/reinstall the audio driver in Device Manager.

Open Device Manager

Expand Audio Input and Output

Right-click on each driver and select "uninstall device". Once done, restart your Surface  and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

If the issue persists, please visit this link >>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023471/surface-troubleshoot-surface-sound-and-audio-accessories to further troubleshoot this issue.

If this helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I also have a Surface Book 3, 13" model. I also get buzzing if I plug in my headphones or my ear buds into the headphone jack and some sort of audio is playing, even if the audio's at 0% volume. As JunioJr said, it sticks around for a little bit after the audio source stops playing. But for me it maybe lasts around 10-15 seconds before it goes away.

I removed the drivers, restarted my Surface Book, and used the Surface Diagnostic ToolKit. I still got buzzing.

I tried following the steps in the article and I still can't get the buzzing to stop. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue, because I just finished setting up the thing and I really don't want to have to return it. (Also I'm hoping it's not because it only happens when audio is playing or just stopped playing.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried everything - nothing worked out 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and posted this on another thread:

Surface Support confirms that there is no solution to this - the trouble is in the 3.5mm jack. 

So return it, live with it, buy a USB-C adapter or buy some Bluetooth headphones. Not great. 

Oh, if you have a Surface Dock, your 3.5mm jack headphones will work fine through that. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue. Didn't happen with my SB1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. Tried the following things unsuccessfully:

• operate disconnected from power grid -> problem persists
  • tried multiple headsets -> problem persists
  • Changed audio optimization from Dolby to Windows Sonic to disabled -> problem persists
  • Disabled all audio optimizations -> problem persists
  • Ran the audio issues tool -> problem persists
  • updates the Intel graphics drivers (some web pages create a connection here) -> problem persists

It feels like we're dealing with a hardware defect here. Might even be a batch error. Could someone official please comment on this?

Edit: 13" version, i7, 512 GB, 32 GB, Nvidia 1650

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As reported earlier, I had the very same issue. After getting in contact with their support, Microsoft replaced my Surface Book 3 with a new one. Unfortunately, the new device was again affected by the buzzing.

However, two days ago, Intel released a new graphics driver 27.20.100.8336, which fixed the buzzing for me!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As reported earlier, I had the very same issue. After getting in contact with their support, Microsoft replaced my Surface Book 3 with a new one. Unfortunately, the new device was again affected by the buzzing.

However, two days ago, Intel released a new graphics driver 27.20.100.8336, which fixed the buzzing for me!

Was that the Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver? Under Display Adapters in the Device Manager? Did you download it manually or did Windows find it when you hit update?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly: It's the Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver that comes along with an updated audio driver. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you which audio devices were updated. I assume that it was the "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)", which is now at version 6.0.8850.1, dated to 26th of November 2019.

I manually downloaded and installed the DCH driver from Intel's website at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29674/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939. I chose the exe installer, but it should work just as well with the inf file from the zip download.

All in all, the only drivers I changed from the retail image were:

- Intel graphics driver package, now version 27.20.100.8336

- NVidia graphics driver package, now version 27.21.14.5148

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly: It's the Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver that comes along with an updated audio driver. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you which audio devices were updated. I assume that it was the "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)", which is now at version 6.0.8850.1, dated to 26th of November 2019.

I manually downloaded and installed the DCH driver from Intel's website at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29674/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939. I chose the exe installer, but it should work just as well with the inf file from the zip download.

All in all, the only drivers I changed from the retail image were:

- Intel graphics driver package, now version 27.20.100.8336

- NVidia graphics driver package, now version 27.21.14.5148

This worked! Was seriously stressing out over buying such an expensive machine with a basic problem like sound.

I went and manually downloaded and installed the Intel Driver. It updated the Intel Graphics Driver to 8336, and also the Intel Display Audio driver (under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager) to 11.1.0.16. I'd take a wild guess to say that this was the problematic driver, as the "Realtek" driver wasn't touched at all (according to the event log).

My NVidia driver is still the original, but the problem is solved. Thanks for the insight!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2020 Views 1,404 Applies to: