Surface Book 2 won't wake up from sleep. Only by detaching the screen I can wake up.

Hello,

My SB2 doesn't wake up from sleep. The only way I can wake it up is by first detaching the screen, then I can press the power button and it will wake up. This takes me about 15secs, which is way too slow for a $2000+ computer.

I have read the 3-step solution Microsoft posted for this problem, and it doesn't help. The hotkeys do not respond (Control+windows+shift+B or 3 taps on up+down volume buttons), the battery is fully charged and I am not going to restart the tablet every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

What is the solution? Everything else works fine with the surface, I don't want to send back/exchange the surface just for this problem... it seems like some software fix should be enough!

Thanks,

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jon,

Running the Power Troubleshooter automatically checks Windows power plans and detects your system settings that affect the power usage. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security.
  3. Choose Troubleshoot.
  4. Click on Power, then click on the Run the troubleshooter button.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't work, run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. Click on this link on how to run the toolkit.

Also, poor connection between the contacts can cause this issue. Try to clean the connectors. More info at  Surface won’t turn on or wake from sleep too.

1. Detach the Clipboard from the keyboard.
  2. Wet a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. (Use 95% isopropyl alcohol or higher if possible.) Clean the silver pins on both faces of the three connectors located on the top middle surface of the keyboard hinge. Rub the cotton swab back and forth vigorously to clean the pins. Use a fresh swab to clean each of the connector faces (six in total).
  3. After you're done, make sure the pins are dry and that there are no cotton fibers on the connector. Reattach the Clipboard to the keyboard.

Performing a clean boot may also help resolve the issue. It is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This eliminates software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. On how to perform a clean boot, click on this link

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this same exact problem with my Surface Book 2 15".  I even went as far as resetting the computer from scratch, which only temporarily fixed the problem.  I found that if I turn off facial recognition I don't have any problems.  I haven't tried Mark Ole's solutions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately turning off facial recognition didn't solve my problem...  Best,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried the Power Troubleshooter, it worked but it didn't help. I tried cleaning the connectors too but that didn't solve the issue either. Also, I tried restarting in clean boot, but I saw no difference...

If I have the tablet detached, I cannot turn it on either, so the connectors should have nothing to do with it, since I should be able to turn on my tablet independently of the base. One thing I've noticed is that it seems like whenever there is a powering change (connecting/disconnecting power cable or detaching/attaching the tablet) the surface seem to react to it and wakes up as soon as I press power right after that action. But otherwise, no reaction at all...

Please help! Any more advices?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I spoke too soon.  An update ran last night which shutdown the laptop and I was back to being locked out this morning.  A forced shutdown didn't fix it either. I had to plug into an external monitor to get back up and running.  Do you use a multi-minitor setup? I am thinking that it is a video card issue - the 1060 that is in the base. Like it is hanging on startup and that it has been affected by my multi-minitor setup.  

Sorry this didn't help.

mmm... I do ocassionally use an external monitor, but I have this problem regardless of being connected or not to the monitor. Luckily, in my case I do not need to force a shutdown, I can attach/detach the tablet and then the surface can wake up if I press the power button right after that. It's faster than a full shutdown... but not ideal.

Not sure where it's coming from... but my guess is that this is related to the multiple wake up/sleep problems reported in surface devices, and not to the video card. But honestly I have no idea...

Best,

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I have the same problem regardless of external monitor too  It just seems to get things running if I connect it. And the tablet works 100% of the time by itself which is when the 1060 video card is not attached.

When mine gets stuck, tablet always works fine, force restart sometimes works, disconnecting and pressing the power button like you say sometimes works.  I've tried disabling applications that run in the background and that doesn't seem to help.  I concur there is no way it is the connector.

I wonder if I can disable the 1060 video card in device manager?... I'll test when I have time  

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried disabling the video card and installing drivers directly from Nvidia.  No change.  

Sorry this didn't help.

My 15" Surface Pro 2 has the exact same issue and it only started recently. It must be due to a recent update.... When I close the screen (flipping down the tablet onto the keyboard section) the tablet will enter sleep mode and it seems like it will always wake if done within an hour or so. After a few hours the PERMA SLEEP has engaged and I need to hold the power button for 20 seconds for a hard reset (I haven't tried the detach technique that Jon talks about). 

My guess is that many are affected by this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I read about sleep issues with other surface devices, but couldn't find threads about the surface book 2. Glad to see I'm not the only one... hopefully it will push Microsoft to find a fix.

Let me know if detaching the screen works for you, just curious.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2020 Views 9,514 Applies to: