Surface Book 2 Graphics Card Issue - Nvidia problems 2nd week of ownership?

I'm getting a Code 43 Error on the 1060 GPU in the Surface Book 2 (SB2). Also want to state that I have a comp/sci background and wanted the SB2 to be my main development laptop and to play some games from time to time.

Despite all the bad reviews on this issue I figured those consumers were just not tech savvy enough to easily remove the drivers and re-install things and bought this over the Macbook Pro just due to the fact that there was a 1060 graphics card embedded within a LAPTOP (awesome right? maybe I was wrong....) 

Device manager will no longer recognize the 1060 properly even after a clean uninstall/install of NVidia drivers. I have uninstalled all drivers, went offline so the auto-install for the 1060 doesn't automatically kick off; also disable windows device update under properties in device manager. Then re-installed offline drivers, specifically 397.55 which addresses the following:

- After driver installation, Device Manager may report Code 43 error on a few GTX 1060 cards models.
- Netflix playback may occasionally stutter.
- Added support for Microsoft Surface Book notebooks.
- Windows 10: Driver may get removed after PC has been left idle for an extended period of time.

Still get the error no matter what I do. I have tried installing multiple versions (including the latest Nvidia drivers currently at 416.34 and still no success) The last thing I have yet to try is a complete system reformat to factory settings, which is annoying but might be the only solution in this case. Please let me know if you know of some other method to get this issue fixed. I have had this laptop no more than 14 days and the graphics card is basically unusable at this point.

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2019 Views 1,300 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you letting us know about your concern.

Running the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit may help resolve the issue. This will automatically install any missing driver and firmware updates for your device. Click here to learn how to run the toolkit. After running the toolkit, force shutdown and restart your device to ensure all updates are applied. You may need to do this more than once.

If running the toolkit didn't work, reset your Surface to factory settings using the recovery image. Click here on how to create and use a recovery drive.

Let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply and trying to help me out, I do appreciate the quick response.

Ok, I tried your toolkit and nothing worked (even after the hard reset) so I went with the last resort -> recovery but "kept my files" as a part of the process to not lose any saved work. When it was all done went straight to device manager and still got the Code43 WTH!!!!!

At this point with nothing to lose I did a reset and erase EVERYTHING option. This took a lot longer as it reinstalls everything but guess what, when everything came up Code43 error was still there????? Starting to look like a hardware issue.

Here is where I gave up and went to register my device and started preparing my 2 week old SURFACE BOOK 2 for a Microsoft Store visit to replace/renew my hardware. While looking for my serial number, the Microsoft site had me "Detach" my surface book 2 screen to get the serial number. After registering my laptop and getting ready for my TEDIOUS trip to Microsoft store, their internal servers detected I was going to make full use of my warranty rights and remotely re-activated my graphics card. The code 43 error went away on my "Device Manager" and message returned to "This device is working properly". Unbelievable but this is truly how it all went down. :) So to all that is reading this, if you are having this code43 issue, register your device and Microsoft will automatically re-activate your graphics card.

All joking aside, I think detaching the screen and reattaching might of had something to do with it. Maybe it was improperly seated? Maybe it need to be reset? But that was definitely one thing that has not been mentioned in all the forums where people experience this same problem. THE SOLUTION: Whatever you decide to try whether it be re-installing drivers, recovery option, or full disk erase, add in this very important step: try reseating/reattaching your screen multiple times. Hope this helps someone in their time of need and save you a trip to the Microsoft store! Good luck, and stay thirsty my friends.

Sorry this didn't help.

Update. 10/18/18

GeForce Experience will not fix or update drivers. Even after you disable automatic driver updates and re-install the NVidia driver. I didn't buy this laptop specifically for games but what bothers me is if I did want to play games, I need to constantly detach and re-attach the monitor to get it to "recognize" the darn graphics card.

I hope Microsoft pushes out a fix for this driver issue soon, I see a lot of similar posts all over the internet but no real solution yet.

Thanks!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Update. 10/19/2018

If you have tried everything and failed like me. Then go to the Microsoft store, this is a known issue. The computer cannot be repaired as it is defected hardware/firmware. The tech took one look at it and gave me a new SURFACE BOOK 2! Damn go microsoft! I mean I know you know you messed up, but a seem-less 30 minute transaction with a new surface book 2 in working/fixed condition totally makes up for it.

I am on my new and improved surface book 2, lets see how long this one lasts. Hopefully we are all good from here on out! Thanks a million Microsoft! Keep this up and Apple won't have nothing on you guys!

Sorry this didn't help.