Surface Book 2 can't deal with Adobe Indesign

Just recently purchased a surface book 2 with the best specs available (16gb RAM, i7 processor etc etc) and it can't run Adobe Illustrator! I'm absolutely livid, my last laptop was an old Lenovo thinkpad which was a hunk of c*** but even that could run Illustrator, albeit slow as hell. Power Mode is set to best performance but still I boot up Illustrator and without fail, 5 minutes into working away it crashes. Has anyone had any similar problems? How do fix? Help. 

I'm very happy with every other feature of the laptop so far, and I rely on the Adobe suite for my university work, so this is an unacceptable issue.

Kind Regards
|
with the base attached, did you specify to run with the Nvidia processor?

>and it can't run Adobe Illustrator!

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT (20 Years)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been dealing with this same issue for over a year.  It seems to me that Illustrator never actually uses the dGPU, even when specified.  That, or there is an issue where not enough RAM is being allocated.  I can't seem to pinpoint it, but its frustrating that this machine can handle just about anything, but any moderately complex adobe file seems to bring the machine to its knees.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a partial solution, but it really just points to a faulty GPU implementation.

-While in Illustrator, go to VIEW, and select "CPU Preview".  

-You can switch between GPU and CPU preview this way or by clicking ctrl+E.

The CPU preview shouldn't be better, but its at least 4x faster than GPU on my maxed out Surface Book 2.

MS, PLEASE GET THIS GPU ISSUE ADDRESSED!  This is sold as a "Creators Tool", Illustrator and Photoshop are probably the most used creative tools on the planet, get this optimized!!!  And if its on Adobe, then work with THEM to get it optimized, either way it reflects poorly on your potentially game changing creation device.  

-sd

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has this been resolved?? Thinking about getting a Surface book 2, but not if this is still an issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nlinton-12,

Thank you for your interest in Surface Book 2. The device itself has several nice features you may like. With regard to your concern, you should be able to run the app with ease. In case you encounter any issues running the app on the device, you may need to contact Adobe about this.

Feel free to post back if you have any other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2021 Views 1,898 Applies to: