Surface book 2 - Blue Screen

Hello,

First of all if you are reading this I wish you an amazing day :)

Now on to my problem - I've gotten Surface book 2 and I love the laptop but it keeps giving me the blue screen & overheating. I've added 2 cooling accessories on top, laptop support stand and a small fan, but it keeps crashing. Now this happens in conditions when laptop is not even doing much - for example internet browsing on youtube with only 1 tab open and OneNote.

Whenever it goes to the blue screen I get the error that says something along the lines of "UNFIXABLE ERROR". The blue screen doesn't ONLY come when it's overheating either, sometimes they are un-connected.

I hope someone can help!

Kind regards,

Nikola

Thank you for posting your inquiry here in Microsoft Community, CvetkovicNikola.

The Surface devices are equip to shutdown when it gets really hot. Here are the methods that we suggest to reduce potential heat-related issues, follow these guidelines:

• Keep your device and its power adapter in a well-ventilated area when in use or charging. Allow for adequate air circulation under and around the device. Use caution when operating your device on a pillow, blanket, or other soft material, because the material can block the airflow, and this may cause device overheating.

• If device is being used in warm environment or in the Sun move device to cooler environment.

• Keep the Windows system updated to the latest update.

• Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

For reference, please check this article: Product safety warnings and instructions.

For the blue-screen issue, here are the methods that we suggest:

- Run the System File Checker.

- Check the reliability history to verify if the shutdown is related to Windows system error. Go to search > search for reliability history.

- Reinstall a fresh Windows on the device.

This process will wipe everything out on your device and install a fresh operating system. Please make sure that you have back up your files and data either in an External Hard drive or use your OneDrive app. You’ll need a USB (USB stick) with at least 16GB/32 GB and format it clean (make sure that you have chosen FAT32 as the file system while formatting the USB). You'll need a PC running Windows 10 or Surface Device to download the system files/recovery image on the Microsoft Website.   

Note: USB/Flash drives are the only required device for you to perform the follow steps below successfully.  

After formatting the USB to FAT32 USB, convert the FAT32 USB stick as a bootable device. Go to search > search for create a recovery drive > then follow the on-screen instructions. Please proceed to the steps below after converting your USB to a bootable USB stick: 

• Download the System Files or Recovery Image: 

2. If you’re signed in with your Microsoft account, you will be prompt to choose the device from the list of devices on your Microsoft Account. If you’re not signed in, choose a product on the drop-down menu and provide the Serial Number of the device. 

3. Once the download is finished, go to the file, right-click and choose Extract all then choose the USB/Flash drive. 

• Perform the USB recovery: 

1. Shutdown the device by pressing/holding the power button for 10 seconds until it’s off. 
2. Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port. 
3. Press and hold the volume-down (-) rocker. 
4. Press and release the power button. 
5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down (-) rocker. 
6. Choose your language options and keyboard layout. 
7. Select Troubleshoot. 
8. Select Recover from a Drive. Choose Remove Everything and Fully Clean the Drive. Recovering this PC. If prompted for BitLocker Key, tap Skip this Drive. 
9. Select “
Recovery”. 

Hope this helps, otherwise, let us know so we can further assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Running Windows 11 Build 22471.rs_prerelease.210929-1415 on my Surface Book 2, everytime after detach my tablet and reattach back onto the keyboard Dock, I get this Blue Screen error message, may I know how to get this fix or is there already a fix to this error?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 1,072 Applies to: