Surface and Microsoft account

Hi i have a Microsoft Surface and it upgraded to a microsoft account recently and i have restarted and it is now asking for a password when i try to log in. Im unsure what microsoft account its using but the one i have for my 356 doesnt work to log in.

At the log in screen it just has my name and not my email account.

Is there a way i can find out which account its using - keep in mind i cannot remove the drive and install into another pc to access files as its a surface and being a surface its running bitlocker so that makes it hard to boot from other media to try password reset utilities.

Regards

Anthony & brad

Hi,

Are you pertaining to your local account? Did you forget your password for signing in to Windows on your Surface? Let us know.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi i started with a local account but it looks like iv accidentally changed to a microsft account. 

In other versions of windows u could press cntr,alt,del twice at the login screen and change user but there is no option i can find in win10 like that. 

I cannot boot any password removal tools either as bitlocker is enabled. 

I just wish i knew which ms account it used. I have a feeling it created a new account to which i didnt pay enough attention to the details i typed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For your concern, we will be needing additional information. Did you notice if the following screenshot appears on your log-in screen?

What happens when you select other sign-in options? Were there any error messages appear?

If the BitLocker still enabled, you can check this link for more information.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi , i do not have any of thoes sign in options. Just have a place to type a password and the three buttons on the bottom right. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi , i do not have any of thoes sign in options. Just have a place to type a password and the three buttons on the bottom right. 

Hi Brad,

From what you have described, your sign in screen is now definitely using your Microsoft Account. This usually happens when you log-in on a Microsoft application such as the Mail app, Office 365, XBOX etc. using your Microsoft Account. Here's a link to know more about the accounts that you can use to sign in on your Surface 3 device.

Now, for you to be able to access your device again, here are options that you can try:

1. You can try to recover your Microsoft Account password through this link and then try to re-login using the password that you have recovered.
  2. You may also seek assistance from our Assisted Support in recovering your Microsoft Account password.
  3. If you're still unable to log in, you may try to Restore or reset your Surface 3 device.

Let us know if you have further queries.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Brad the login screen will not tell you the Microsoft account that is tied to the account. What you have to do is login your Microsoft account on a different computer via the website: https://account.microsoft.com/account

When you get to the site go to the device tab and see if your Surface Shows up as a device that your account as been signed into. If it does not you wanna try going down the list of all the hotmail,msn,outlook,live account you have. One of these account will show up as the correct device and you will then be able to use that account password to login to your Surface.

If you are not able to figure this out. I would strongly recommend you taking a trip to a Microsoft Store if you have any near you.

joo2h

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 357 Applies to: