Surface 4 PRO battery has swollen, body is bent and a large spot appeared on the left of the screen

Hi there, my Surface 4 PRO battery has swollen, body is bent and a large spot appeared on the left of the screen, as visible in the image below.

I read other posts on the matter and I tried to contact the support, but it sends me to a useless chatbot that does not understand the issue.

Any idea how to contact the assistance? I read it might be dangerous as the battery can explode without notice.

Thanks

Just chatted with Microsoft Assistance and they say this issue happens with a lot of lithium batteries for various reasons, deflecting responsibility.

The gentle support said that, given Microsoft considers Surface 4 a Legacy device, it cannot be substitute but only upgraded to a newer model for ~650 euros!

Pretty extreme, given the swollen battery is not a user issue but a manufacturing problem. And we wouldn't be spending money if Microsoft did not have this manufacturing issues that is proven by the number of similar cases, no?!?

I felt sorry for the person chatting online who, with extreme professionality, was trying to balance between a customer and obviously !flawed? Microsoft policies.

The problem has been escalated internally because I refused to pay what asked. Any suggestion in the meantime?

I'll keep you posted!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello all, this is an update on how Microsoft responds to our concerns relative to its battery issue in its Surface Pro 4.

As many of you reported, Microsoft refuses to substitute its defective Surface 4 Pro for free, if the battery bulges after three years from purchase.

Instead, given Microsoft considers Surface 4 a Legacy device, so it offers to upgrade the Surface to a newer model (not specified which one), for ~650 euros!

About the problem, Microsoft denies any responsibility on the battery issue, saying that this 'happens with different devices that has lithium batteries like phone ,tablets and other devices'.

Well, sorry Microsoft, but none of my tablets, mobiles, or other Surfaces (I have a 3 and a 5) have never behaved similarly.

It adds that 'There is no inherent risk or safety concern associated with these expanded batteries' yet '...the lithium ion batteries used in Surface devices contain materials that can injure skin, eyes, and lungs if punctured.'

Amusing isn't it? It's not risky but Microsoft eventually suggests to use its Surface Pro 4 wearing glasses and a mask. Amazing how, bacy in 2015, Microsoft already engineered a Surface ready for COVID-19 times.

In the meantime, my Surface...is expanding... is it fair to say that Microsoft is not customer oriented? Sure, I am buying more products from Microsoft!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 63 Applies to: