SP4 battery drain after update

Split from this thread.

I am seeing the same issues on my Surface Pro 4. I used to get 4-5 hours per charge, now I am lucky to get 1 or 2. Everything was fine before the latest round of August Windows+firmware updates.

It dropped from 92% to 49% just doing some browsing for 30 minutes looking about this problem, on "recommended" power state, after a full charge and a restart. :( 

Here is the report: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai_y9q83q0xWuEpzVc19MT50r70R

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2019 Views 341 Applies to:

So this is not limited to SP 2017. Microsoft Soft please fix it soon 😭

I did some tests and see if this help.

I reset my Surface Pro 2017 to 1803. In the beginning, nothing changed, still drained rapidly. But after a full discharge and recharge cycle, the battery could last for about 3 – 3.5 hours (instead of 2 hours).

And then I tried updating the system with the latest available updates again and it went back to 2 hours.

So I decided to try the insider preview and joined their program to see how it would work out. No, it didn’t work. Still 2 hours.

On the second day after I installed the preview version, new updates plus many old ones (I don’t know whey those old updates didn’t take place earlier) were available and I installed them.

After that, the battery can last for 3.5 hours again.

Side note: I also noticed that the full charge capacity of the battery fluctuated in the past week (since I began to monitor the battery reports)

Design capacity: 45000mWh

Full charge capacity was 33400, and then 29730 and now 34550.

If you want to try the insider preview, you have to think twice. I did get a few Blue Screen of Death (Green screen in the case of insider preview) since I installed it couple days ago.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same here. I can barely squeeze two hours when using Clip Studio Paint without being hooked up to the charger cable, when earlier (few months ago) I could do 5-6 hours easily.

I don't know if it's the last update or something else, but it looks related.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem on my Surface Pro 4 after the 2019 August update.  I have read that the bug could be dependent on the  Surface Embedded Controller Firmware - Firmware 103.2614.257.0 that would have had to improve the battery performance and that, however, has worsened it.

I hope in a new update soon from MS!!

UPDATE: , I am convinced that the problem is the firmware released in August (which contains Surface Embedded Controller Firmware - Firmware 103.2614.257.0) that has been released to improve battery performance and that, however, has caused battery draining on Surface series. Among the various attempts, I also carried out the rollback to the previous driver of the Surface Embedded Controller Firmware, but it did not improve the battery life: I believe that the Surface Embedded Controller Firmware is "governed" by the "main UEFI firmware" and, therefore, if we  will not get new UEFI firmware update, we  will obtain none good result. In one hour, my battery arrive to 10% from 100% of charge: it is an unacceptable condition for use! 

There are other topics on MS Community forum concerning similar topic: i.e. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/battery-drain-overnight-while-shutdown/9cd4c436-a23c-46c8-b595-616ce6561004?page=1&rtAction=1569581530156 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

..new firmware for Surface pro 4

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4023489/surface-surface-pro-4-update-history

This was in insider preview 3 weeks ago. It did nothing for me. If anyone else can indicate differently I would be very interested to hear it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still testing it, but yesterday from 86% to 11% in 3 and a half hours, using the sP4 a lot! So, it seems to me to improve the battery bug a lot.

Are you sure that is the same firmware that you update as insider?

If yes, perhaps, you need to do a couple of charging cycles: try doing it!

Let we know!

j

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm long story but I tried following the advice in the other thread about disabling SMT in the bios and then doing 2 charging cycles. That helped, but the firmware itself not.

My real quest is to stop losing battery overnight when the damn thing is shutdown (via shift, hold power, cmd whatever). I always lose between ~1 and 1.5% per hour. It's driving me nuts. Nothing has changed this at all.

Anyways as I said the firmware from insider preview (same version number, I'm sure) did nothing. Then I turned off SMT and recalibrated with 2 cycles. Performance was better but battery loss in shutdown was the same. I tried recovering windows to a 1703 recovery image with no change (but battery life was still better).

Last night I updated to 1903 and also received the new surface firmware (what was in release preview). Now my battery life is **** again and I still have no fix on the shutdown drain.

Do I have to recalibrate yet again?? This is getting stupid, I'm just destroying my battery no matter what I do.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you: it is absurd and makes you very nervous! In my case, now the consumption is 0.3 / 0.4% / min (as I had with SMT disabled which, now, I reactivated) with intensive use. But I've never had any problems with discharging the battery to surface off, so the problem seems different.
Maybe, you should reinstall the OS, but even on this you wouldn't have certainty. Before thinking of drastic operations, such as OS initialization, try to uninstall the latest updates, then update again from windows-update (maybe, exit the insider view  program) and also update all the drivers from pc management (maybe even uninstalling the drivers of firmwares and re-installing them).
I'm sorry, but these things only come to mind and I'm not even sure it works.
j

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the tips, but I've done all this to be honest. As I mentioned, I just recovered to the old official 1703 image. That means installing the OS fresh. I tried running this without once connecting to the internet and still had the shutdown drain. I tried updating with the firmware updates from 1703 with no change. I just last night reupdated to 1903 with the freshly released surface firmware, with no change.

I would assume it's hardware, but I've found a number of people claiming the same, and even exchanging devices for new ones with the same problem. Basically at the moment I have a lemon on my hand, a lemon that is dying without any clear path forward.

I paid 1500 euros for this new (it's an I7 model), and been through 4 devices before my warranty ran out. How is this acceptable business practice from a company selling premium devices?

Sorry this didn't help.