Sound not working with HDMI connected to monitor

Hi

I have a brand new Surface Pro 7 with Windows 10 and have connected it via HDMI to a monitor. The monitor does not have speakers.

When the HDMI is connected there is no sound and even when I remove the HDMI the sound will still not play. If I force shutdown the laptop and restart it without the HDMI connected the sound works fine but when connected again the same thing happens.

I have seen previous posts suggesting going to Sound in the Control Panel and disabling the monitor however my monitor does not even show up as an option. This is all I see. The last few days I have been connecting my computer to a bluetooth device to play the sound while the HDMI is connected and headphones work aswell but id rather not keep doing it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Hello Auss1e_Jo,

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We're sorry to learn about this issue on your device.

Since your external monitor does not have speakers and won't transmit audio, then this issue is more likely with your Surface device itself. This may be due to driver issue or software conflict. While you're connected to external monitor via HDMI, please give these methods a try and observe your device:

• Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit and complete the tasks.

• Check for Windows Update. Make sure to check View Optional features and select all necessary updates for your device. Restart the Surface after installing updates.

• Run Audio troubleshooter. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooter > Playback > Run the troubleshooter.

• Manually install drivers and firmware

Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by typing winver on the search bar near the Windows logo.

Go to Download driver and firmware for Surfacechoose (your Surface model) then click Download.
    Choose the .msi file that matches or nearest to your current OS Build and click Next.
    After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart. 

• Run System File Checker in Windows 10.

If issue still persists and your device still does not have an audio, try uninstalling and re-installing the audio driver:

• Open Device Manager. Locate and expand System Devices.

• Select Intel Smart Sound Technology Audio Control, then right-click and choose Update Driver.

• Select Browse my computer for drivers then choose Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and hit Next.

• Select High Definition Audio Controller and then select OK. Now, test your audio while connected to HDMI.

Hope this helps. Feel free to respond on this thread to let keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks StevenK_M

I tried all fixes except the manually install drivers and firmware as none of the .mis files matched my current OS Build??

No luck with any of the others fixes. I had no problems previously with my Surface Pro 4 if that helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Auss1e_Jo. We're sorry for the delayed response.

In that case, please select the first MSI file option as it's the updated one for your device and also close to your OS build.

Let us know how it goes by still responding on this thread.

Kind regards,

StevenK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Auss1e_Jo. We're sorry for the delayed response.

In that case, please select the first MSI file option as it's the updated one for your device and also close to your OS build.

Let us know how it goes by still responding on this thread.

Kind regards,

StevenK

Unfortunatly no success with manually install drivers and firmware either.

It is very frustrating. Now even a forced shutdown when i'm not connected to the HDMI will not get the Surface to play any sound. Instead an odd ticking sound comes from near the headphone jack.

Any other suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response, Auss1e_Jo.

At this point, we would highly recommend that you reset the Surface using a USB Recovery Image. This option reimages the entire device, including the partition on the hard drive. It is the most complete form of reset.  You must have at least 16GB/32GB of USB Flash drive and it must be formatted to FAT32 prior to downloading the Recovery Image.

Note: This removes all the files and apps on your device. You will need to back up your data and reinstall the desktop apps or run updates after the completion.

To download the Recovery Image:

1. Visit the page at http://www.surface.com/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

2. Sign in with your Microsoft Account (this is the email address we asked you for at the start of the call)

3. From the list of Surface devices available, select the device that you need a recovery image for
    Please note that while you will only be presented with devices that are currently registered on your account, you will also be presented with the option to get an image for a different type of device. If you try to use this option, you will be prompted to enter the serial number for that device

4. Download the recovery image using the button on the page

5. When the download bar pops up at the bottom of your screen, save the file in a location you will be able to find it.

Format USB Drive:

1. Insert your USB drive into the USB port of your PC.

2. From the desktop, open File Explorer

3. Tap and hold or right-click on the USB drive and choose Format

4. Select FAT32 as the file system and enter a Volume label to name the USB drive, such as RECOVERY, and then tap or click Start

5. Tap or click OK to erase the contents of the USB drive

6. Tap or click OK when the format is complete

Create a recovery drive:

1. On your Surface or PC, open recovery image that you downloaded by double-clicking it

2. At the top of the window tap on Extract and then Extract all. Select the USB drive you formatted earlier for the location and click Extract.

Perform USB recovery image:

1. Turn the Surface off by pressing the power button

2. Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port

3. Press and hold the volume-down (-) rocker

4. Press and release the power button

5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down (-) rocker

6. When prompted, choose your language options and keyboard layout

7. Select Troubleshoot

8. Select Recover from a drive. If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.

9. If prompted, select Repartition the drives.

After the completion, if issue persists, then it's more likely a hardware problem already. For further assistance, kindly contact our support via Contact Us Microsoft Support to seek exchange options for your device. You can also contact them via phone, see Global Support Phone Numbers. Replacement cost applies to out of warranty device and for further service.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 2,585 Applies to: