Screen Cracked Without Being Used: Surface Book 2

Hi Community

I've just opened up my 3 week old surface book 2 and found a crack in the glass from the upper left hand side across to the bottom right hand side of the screen. I am baffled and horrified as to how this could have happened!! I used the laptop yesterday, as both a laptop and a tablet. No crack. Closed it carefully and put it in a sleeve and left flat on the table. Opened up today and find a significant crack! I'm at a loss for words and explanation as to how this could happen. It was not used or touched by anyone/thing. The crack is only visible from an angle and does not interfere with the display.

Has this happened to anyone else' surface product? Should I put tempered glass on the screen? So worried that more cracks will appear. I was planning to purchase a surface pen today. Now I'm concerned that the pen will add further damage the screen. Is there any explanation for how the screen can crack without use?

Thanks for any insight.

Ruby

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same with Surface Book 3  365 days old and it developed a crack, with absolutely no wrong doing.

MS wants me to pay 800 CAD in order to get it fixed. Unbelievable. Be aware!

As you can see no, absolutely no 'impact point' as the Agent was claiming after I submitted the pictures.

And to top it off  a couple of weeks later developed a hairline crack right side:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I received a Surface Book 3 from my work. It has been sitting on my desk for the most part. One night I shut it and the next morning when it was opened there was a hair line crack in the screen. I was informed by Customer service that even though this is happening in warranty and not from any abuse that it isn't covered under warranty and would cost me 650 to fix it. I find this ridiculous as seen on this help channel it isn't an isolated issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lol what rubbish, 

my surface book 2 is ONLY on my desk, and cracked ,too. At the camera, where else. 

And there are tones of such issues one can find online. 

So basically it's a laptop that you are not allowed to open or close without fearing a cracked screen.

Warrenty? No, they want 600!!! Euros to repair it, for a design flaw of a device I paid over 1000 Euros for.

Mine broke after about 3 weeks. I surely am not going to pay 600 Euros for it to brake again in 3 weeks. 

So it's basically a laptop you can use unbroken for a yearly perscription of 9600 Euro. Sounds like a great deal, huh? 

Pure customer ripoff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Battery expanding?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The screen is gust very exposed on the edges. I think it actually touches the base when closed. A poor design that I didn't pick up on when i purchased. Would probably have moved on if I hade seen this one coming.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The base even has a little cut out at the touchpad, so right in the middle at the camera there are two sharp corners pointing against the screen, which slam against the screen when you close it. In addition there is a magnetic force that closes it with quite a force from alone the last few cm. 

It is 100% a design flaw which microsoft isn't admitting. 

They are having us buy thousands of dollars expensive laptops that break from alone and then want us to pay for repair.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine has the same problem how to get it fixed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with my 15 inch surface book 3. The crack appeared near my webcam after using it twice. I hadn't moved it and only closed the lid very carefully. 

Thankfully it was within the first month of ownership and they replaced it without any drama. Now I'm scared the same thing will happen again and this time it won't be within that first month. 

Hoping Microsoft hear these issues and replace any cracks. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They don't, they won't, and they will never. 

Issues have been here for many years, with maany many affected. 

Microsoft doesn't care, or more, it is too expensive for them to admit, so they just leave us fked. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Surface Book 3 and it's cracked at the top slightly right below the volume rocker.  I used a Surface Book 2 for years and never any issues but I've had this only a few weeks and it's cracked.  I'm not only highly disappointed but embarrassed because I usually speak good things about the Surface Brand to my coworkers.  But yet here I am paying big money and it breaks from just sitting.  
Love, praise, and worship God :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 4,311 Applies to: