Screen Cracked Without Being Used: Surface Book 2

Hi Community

I've just opened up my 3 week old surface book 2 and found a crack in the glass from the upper left hand side across to the bottom right hand side of the screen. I am baffled and horrified as to how this could have happened!! I used the laptop yesterday, as both a laptop and a tablet. No crack. Closed it carefully and put it in a sleeve and left flat on the table. Opened up today and find a significant crack! I'm at a loss for words and explanation as to how this could happen. It was not used or touched by anyone/thing. The crack is only visible from an angle and does not interfere with the display.

Has this happened to anyone else' surface product? Should I put tempered glass on the screen? So worried that more cracks will appear. I was planning to purchase a surface pen today. Now I'm concerned that the pen will add further damage the screen. Is there any explanation for how the screen can crack without use?

Thanks for any insight.

Ruby

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ruby Mae Ayliffe,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

There are reports about a Surface Laptop 3 that a little crack on the screen begins to appear but this is still under investigation. However, for Surface Book 2, this is basically just the first time I heard of this that the screen gets broken even though it wasn't dropped unless if this was delivered damaged. 

In this case, it's best to have it reported to where you have ordered this device because you mentioned that this was purchased not beyond 30 days yet. If this was ordered from our Microsoft Store online, kindly contact the number below for further assistance.

Microsoft Store Sales and Customer Support:

1-877-696-7786

If this answers your question, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you still need assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Crest_Z

Thank you for your response. The laptop/screen was not dropped, knocked or even used. It was closed gently and when I opened it up the next day it has a substantial crack across the screen. I find it very hard to believe that this is the first you are hearing of it, as the links below list hundreds of users who have experienced the exact same issue. Please do view these links and comments. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/7wcwi9/surface_book_2_screen_crack/ Comments list many users with same cracked screen fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GWq-9md6BY

Comments list many users with similar experience.

https://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/screen-cracked.18920/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiKUwl_iLDI

Comments list many users with same problem.

Microsoft needs to acknowledge that this device has a major issue. We, the users, have all paid premium price for a laptop that was advertised as high-end... Meant to be a sturdy workhorse. However in my case, as in many others, there is absolutely no reason (nothing that we could have done differently) that the glass cracked. Please acknowledge this because we are not making it up.

My tech support plan expires on 28 March 2020 (Manufacturer warranty in tact until end 2020) so this needs to be resolved timeously. I called Microsoft support today and waited on hold for about 80 minutes. I still have not been helped.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi  Ruby Mae Ayliffe,

Sorry for the delayed response. I thank you for the information and the link you shared.

As much as I would like to have it replaced for you but processing  a replacement is something Microsoft Community can't do. So this is the reason why I'd like you to contact surface support to have it reported and have it replaced. Since this was purchased not beyond 30 days yet and the best channel who can assist you is our Microsoft Store and Sales Support.

Microsoft Store Sales and Customer Support:

1-877-696-7786

If this answers your question, please feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if there's anything else that needs to be addressed.

Note: Replacement can't be processed in the Community. So please don't hesitate to contact the point of sale for further assistance. They're the one who can assist further in getting it return for refund or have it replaced with a brand new one.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Absolutely agree with the customer. I have the same issue. I use my surfacebook at home and it sits on my desk. I close it before going to sleep. Out of nowhere the screen cracked. It sounds absolutely ridiculous that this is the first time they heard about this issue...

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Support,

I totally agree with the user, my Surface Book2 has  crack in the top left corner also. This is not expected with a laptop that costs close to $5k 

How can this be replaced / resolved please/

Kind Regards

Matt C..

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had my Surface Book 2 for a couple of years.  It never leaves my house i use it most as a laptop.  I closed the lid and sat it on a table earlier today when I picked it up it sounded like the screen cracked when I opened the lid it had cracked in the upper left corner. I did nothing different than I have always done.  Makes no sense to me.  No dirt no rocks no reason for this to happen.  Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Dennis

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, big hairline crack along the length of the screen for no reason at all.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just had the exact same issue. 

When contacting support, the person was extremely rude and did not care at all - In his opinion I must be lying when I explained that the crack happened for no reason. He expressed that Microsoft is a big company and if this was an issue the product was having they would have acknowledged it.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has had success in escalating this issue. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My screen just cracked in pretty much the same place, looks like it started on the right hand side of the volume rocker and ends just past the first hole punch in the screen (guessing a mic). Stays in the black bezel portion of the screen with a small amount of displacement. Didn't drop and no visible marks on the frame.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

I have had exactly the same issue.  I purchased my Surface Book 2 laptop approx 3 months ago, and use the laptop in a desk with a docking station.  

Closing the PC on the desk and then coming back to re-open it, I have found really small hairline crack in the screen.  There seem to be 2 cracks originating near the camera, which would be the pressure point where I open the screen with my thumb.

I have laptops for work for over 15 years as an auditor, opening and closing regularly each day and have never damaged a screen in this way.  

The current response from Microsoft is that physical damage is not covered by the warranty.  They have also stated that this is not known issue and they have not been made aware of previous cases.  Based on this thread and various posts online this appears to be factually incorrect.

Can anyone who managed to resolve this with Microsoft please let me know?

Thanks,

Joe

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 4,314 Applies to: