New Surface Pro 7 shutting down randomly

I'm tired of all these issues now. At first, a few days ago, I was working on this laptop and it shut down randomly. I switched it on, but again it shut down randomly. In 20 minutes, this happened thrice. I tried something, and then it worked fine for a day. Then today again, it is happening. The diagnostic kit says there's nothing wrong. Please help.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2020 Views 3,463 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, ishikaagrawal!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues with your Surface Pro 7 shutting down randomly. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. We need to gather information regarding this.

• What is your Windows version and OS Build? Press Windows and type winver to obtain this.
  • When did the issue start?
  • Any changes made on the device?
  • Are there accessories connected to your device (Type Cover, SD card, Surface Dock, charger, etc.)? 
  • Troubleshooting steps aside from the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit you mentioned.
  • Does this happen on any activity on the device? Please enumerate them.
  • Does it happen with and without Internet connection?
  • Does it happen when running on battery power? How about when plugged into its charger?
  • Have you tried to force shutdown the device and restart?

1. Press and hold the power button until the screen turns off (about 10 seconds), then release the power button.
  2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Microsoft logo.

If that doesn't work, here's how to make sure your Surface turns off completely:

Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (about 20 seconds), then release the power button.

For the meantime, please follow the steps below.

1: Check for Windows Update

2: Update drivers and firmware

Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by going to Settings > System > About

Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Pro 7 then click Download on the next page.

Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next.

After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart.

3: Run System File Checker

Please check this link for the steps in Using the System File Checker Tool in Windows 10

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z          

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Version 1909 OS build 18363.657 (windows 10)

2. The issue started a week ago. Tried a lot of stuff.

3. No. 

4. Only type cover

5. Troubleshooting power 

6. It doesn't happen when its on charging. Last week when it started, I was doing some work when it suddenly shut down. But after making some changes, it only happens when I leave my laptop idle (basically not moving the cursor) for 2-3mins (and only when its not on charging). Also, I had this problem previously, that when I left my laptop idle for 5 mins, it used to freeze. It wouldn't work unless I did force shut down and then restarted my device. And this problem too didn't happen while on charging (this one is solved now)

7. I've tried force shutdown.

8. I cant find my exact match for downloading drivers and firmware. But I did that earlier when I had other issues.

9. I ran system file checker.

Still, the problem has not been resolved. Also, my cursor sometimes freezes on the screen (not sometimes, a lot of times). It's very annoying. 

Oh, and I bought it in Jan only!!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, please do not tell me to check the power settings. All my power settings are the same for battery and plugged in. And for sleeping and shutting down, my settings are 'never'. The settings were same even before this problem started occurring.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Now y'all wont reply! I'm done with Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, ishikaagrawal.

We're terribly sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for answering all of my questions and informing me the steps you have tried in the attempts to troubleshoot the issue. May we know if you did a reset on the device via USB Recovery?

This option reimages the entire device, including the partition on the hard drive.
          It is the most complete form of reset.
          You will need to back up your personal data.
          You will need to reinstall desktop apps. You will need to run updates after completion.
          If the issue occurs after a reset, then the root cause is very likely hardware related.
          You will need to download and set up a recovery image on a USB drive. Open
USB recovery link to get started. The information on what size and type of drive is provided at the destination page.

If you did, let me know so I will add this to our documentation as this thread and other threads with the random shutdown issue have been raised to our internal team. Also, I see you responded to this thread, that was included in our report as well. We still await for their response regarding this. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Janette_Z

Sorry this didn't help.

Did that. Didn't work. I don't think its a hardware issue. If it were, the problem would have occurred at all times, not when its unplugged. Also, I noticed that when I'm listening to music or watching any videos, it doesn't turn off (along with when its plugged in)!!!! Now I guess the short term solution is to either have it plugged in or have the music on..??????

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, ishikaagrawal.

Thanks for performing the steps and I am truly sorry it didn't work. It is greatly appreciated that you noticed when the issue is not happening. I will add this information to raise to our team and we will update you as soon as we get word regarding this.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Janette_Z 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.  My Microsoft Surface Pro 7 is just shutting down on me and this is happening about 7 times a day.  I have made sure I have all the updates on the computer and did the diagnostic tool kit that showed all the shutdowns.  It is happening more frequently and seems only to happen when it is idle i.e not typing something or surfing the interet.  

This has become very frustrating!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue. Nothing to add, really. Surface 7 Pro just randomly shuts down. When I restart, Microsoft Edge asks me to restore pages. I have two other computers with Windows 10 that I update at the same time, and they never have this issue. Please, advise. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue on my new surface laptop 3

Sorry this didn't help.