Microsoft Surface Pro 7 Crashing

I bought the Surface Pro 7 16gb ram I7 processorr 256gb SSD storage last week. I have not really used it for anything yet and fully updated it. Last night it started crashing. The screen simply goes black. I would press the lock button twice in order to get back to the lock screen and open it up. It kept crashing every 20 seconds though. Before it crashed, the screen brightness would increase. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I am considering returning it at this point.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2019 Views 296 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Cheerio2334,

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Surface Community. This is certainly not the experience that we want you to have. If you still have the device in your end, we would like to know with regards on how it crashed. So, we do have some questions just to further isolate the case.

When you say crashed, does the devices goes to reboot itself or are you opening an application and it crashes?

When you are in that lock screen, were you able to log-in and crashes or it crashes when you attempt to log-in?

Does this happen after fully setting up the device with updates?

Have you install 3rd party applications after you set it up?

Looking forward on your response.

Regards,

Edd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I purchased the same exact machine and I too am having the very same issue.  The machine crashes while using one note and then after pressing the power button once or twice it goes back to the lock screen

Sorry this didn't help.

By crash the screen simply goes black. No reboot or response from the keys until i hit the lock button twice. I could log in, but it would crash 20 seconds later. The device was fully updated and set up. No third party applications installed. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m having the same/similar issue. My specs are the same (i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) - bought one week ago and nothing third party installed. Whenever I lock my computer, when I return it’s just black. No response whatsoever, although the machine is still on as I can change the brightness of the keyboard. Only way to restore it is to hold the power button for 20 secs. Then I lose everything I was working on anyway. Also feeling like I should return it as all the inconvenience is barely worth the money I paid for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up returning it and getting a new one. Unfortunately the new one has a screen flicker across the top 1 inch of the screen. Very disappointed and will be returning this one to get something else.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It is the worst laptop i have ever had and the most expensive! 

Riddled with problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

I love mine but I'm having the same problem.  I have had the screen go black for no reason but most often I'm getting the blue screen with unhappy face and then it reboots.    I think I'm going to return it and get a pro 6 instead.

Sorry this didn't help.

This has also happened to me. I literally JUST bought it and on the same day setting it up, the screen would flicker to a higher brightness when I had it on the absolute lowest. Another issue is that the screen would just black out. I tried watching a YouTube video and it blacked out again but I was still able to hear the audio so I'm not sure if it's just a hardware issue or software. I had to lock the device and unlock it but that's so much of a hassle considering I had the Surface Pro 6 before this and decided to upgrade. I updated everything but it still keeps happening for some reason. I really hope it's a software issue and not a hardware so I don't have to return it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, sorry to hear that. if you are still in your warranty period (this is 4 weeks for a refund, after 4 weeks you can only get refurbished), i recommend you get a refund in full and run away from microsoft as fast as you can! 

Good luck. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think it's a crashing problem. It's only that the luminosity goes to zero.

I have the same problem. The luminosity goes up and down without any reason even if I disabled the fonction to adjust the luminosity with the ambiant light.

I think that there is a problem with the screen or the graphic card driver.

Sorry this didn't help.