Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 Screen Crack

I purchased my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (13.5in, model 1868) in Matte Black on the 28th of December 2019 (two weeks ago)

My device has been carefully sitting on my desk in it's box since purchase.

It has not been dropped or damaged in any way.

Yet I noticed after I set it up that it has a hairline crack in the glass on the right hand side of the screen.

I am not sure if it was there when I first got it out of the box because it is hard to notice. But I also do not understand how it could have happened in the few times I have used it.

No pressure other than my finger using the touch screen lightly has been put on the screen.

At first I was using the padding that came with the laptop sandwiched in between the screen and keyboard when I closed it.

(Now i know why they package it like that) its like the screen just cracked when i closed it or opened it.

The screen is very flimsy and i have been so careful with it because i paid a ridiculous amount of money for it (a whole years savings and 1/4  of my yearly income) it also just feels really fragile. 

There are a range of other commonly reported issues you can read about all over the web with the screen and software or design, but I really wanted to point out this one because it is deceptively common apparently. After searching the web for days I found hundreds of people complaining about this exact same issue on their brand new surface laptops! They are well hidden and I imagine deliberately so by microsoft. Unfortunately all have simply been told its physical damage so warranty wont cover it!  

I am trying to dispute the issue but so far no one has gotten back to me from Microsoft or the store I purchased it from. I have submitted numerous complaints. 

I refuse to pay to repair something I did not break. I want to know if anyone else here has had the same issue? Or heard of this happening? I will make sure that we have justice, compensation and that Microsoft recognises their fault. This product is a rip off. It would be worth the money if it worked. I was expecting to have this computer for years. 

Now I doubt it will last the month.

I am really disappointed in the design and the companies response to this fault. How does a touch screen be so fragile it could get a hairline fracture by just touching the screen? Or closing the lid or opening it up?

If the hinge broke or the keys fell off then it would be covered under warranty. So this should be too. There is no evidence of impact. The screen seems to have simply split itself.

I am PISSED!

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 5,730 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, BipolarBarbie!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We appreciate the time you have given here to post your concerns. We are truly sorry to learn that your new Surface Laptop 3's screen has a hairline crack. This is not the experience that we want you to have.

Physical damage do not happen if there is no external force. You're right that regular use with touch and opening/closing its lid should not lead to this.  We understand you have not noticed it when you first got it and just noticed it recently. 

You may visit this page to get information when Surface has a cracked screen and the process for a physical damage replacement. 

I also would like to share that for a Surface which is still within the covered warranty period of Microsoft Complete, you can use one of your accidental damage claims to replace your Surface for a deductible fee. It will be mentioned on that first link I shared.

We understand you have saved up to purchase your Surface Laptop 3, that is why you aired out your concerns here. Here in the Community Forums, we can help direct you to the designated department to handle this. If you are in the US, you can call our hotline at 1-800-642-7676.

If not, you can locate the number in your country here in the list of Microsoft Global Customer Service phone numbers.

That way, one of our assigned advocates will help you out on the options for cases like this.

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem.  Micro crack appeared in the right hand side of my Laptop 3. No damage caused by me.  

There is another thread on this forum describing the same issue (can't post the link....) from several other people...There appears to be a design and/or manufacturing defect. 

Customer service recommended I go to the Microsoft store for evaluation but I did not buy the extended warranty...cost to replace is $700.

Stay tuned...

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currently taking my issue further.

I refuse to pay to have my screen replaced. 

I am currently in contact with both the store I purchased it from and microsoft to find a resolution. 

I encourage you to take this matter further!

The guy on the phone assured me that their product does not break unless excessive force is applied to the screen. 

I explained to him that such a guarantee can not be made. 

I also believe it to be a design floor as it seems to be in the spot you would open the screen to flip it up when going to use it. 

I did not buy the extended warranty but my issue happened the first week I purchased it. 

I am not sure what country you are in but I encourage you to

Phone

• AU: +13 20 58
    • Monday – Friday: 07:00-AM-09:00PM (AEST UTC/GMT +10hours)
    • Saturday – Sunday: 08:00AM-05:00PM (AEST UTC/GMT +10hours)
  • NZ: +0 800 800 004
    • Monday – Friday: 09:00AM-11:00PM (NZST UTC/GMT +12hours)
    • Saturday – Sunday: 10:00AM-07:00PM (NZST UTC/GMT +12hours)

KEEP ME UPDATED and let me know how you go!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currently escalating this process further.

I understand there are many other customers with the same issue so I encourage you to investigate it as a design flaw. 

I am seeking a replacement device or a full refund. 

I hope that my complaints case manager resolves this matter quickly. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. I never ever had a cracked display in any phone of laptop the last 20 years. And with my new surface laptop 3 I had spontaneously a crack in one month. I must pay 560,- euro for a replacement within the warranty period :S

I read a lot of stories on the internet from people who had the same crack in their display.

I was so happy with my new laptop; the performance is good, i like the touchscreen and the camera unlock, the device is light, the display is clear. But now I never ever buy an surface laptop anymore. Of course I can pay that 560,- and than? When I 2 months later have a new cracked display I can pay again?!

I think Microsoft must admit that they make a design flaw and not only repair our laptops but fix their surface laptop 3 design.

Microsoft must stop selling this notebook or at least fix the bad design. Please people do yourself  a favor and don't buy a surface laptop 3.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you may need to look into this further as I have had the exact same issue! Within the first 2 weeks of purchasing the device it cracked for no apparent reason!

I have been going through the complaints process. I get a different answer every time. But your team has finally admitted that they are receiving many reports of the same issue and are currently investigating it further.

I have heard of atleast 30 other cases of people who purchased the surface laptop 3 in december last year and had the screens crack almost all in the right hand side. The device creaks and makes a terribly unnerving crunch when you open the screen. This is most certainly a design floor. 

I really wish I didnt have to wait months before you finally admit it. I have not had the laptop for over a month now. I have not been able to use this device and at this point I just want a full refund because your customer service has been terrible on the matter. 

You have certainly lost a loyal customer and gained a complaint from the fair trade commission. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We have the exact same issues here. Crack across the top RH corner. My wife used the laptop at work for less than 4 days and the cracker appeared. No other physical marks or scracthes as she is super careful with all her tech. 
microsoft quote $794 to replace it and tell me to take it to JB at Highpoint. They tell me to call Microsoft. No one is willing to take ownership of what is clearly a common issue and what looks like a design fault to me. 
Will find a way to make this more public.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have taken my issue all the way to the Fair Trade Ombudsmen. They are contacting Microsoft on my behalf and I was told I would hear from Microsoft within 10 days. I am yet to see what resolution they will provide. 

The man at fair trade told me he had not heard any reports on this particular model yet, but previous models had the exact same design flaw. He said it wouldn't surprise him if this model had the same issue. He explained it was a new model so it is likely the problem is more widespread than currently reported.

Microsoft has acknowledge in the latest correspondence with the store I purchased the device from that they are investigating other reports of the same issue. However they could not provide a time frame on when they would find a solution or resolve the issue. 

They obviously know about it and are trying to bully as many people as they can into taking the paid replacement option.

I encourage everyone with the issue to not give in to the pressure and stand your ground. It is all over the internet with people having the same issue. 

It is no doubt a design flaw and I hope they will recall the device soon. 

I understand that these things happen. I would not be so mad if Microsoft had better and faster customer service about it. The responses I have received so far have been appealing and very disturbing. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Surface Laptop 3 that's literally 4 weeks old.   I just noticed today there's a hairline crack in the glass on the bottom left.  The crack is about 4" in length.  Like everyone else, I take great care with this laptop (it's the Core i7 512Gb model - it cost a lot so of course I'm not going to be tossing it around).

I think it's clear there is a problem here with how fragile the glass is.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.