Microsoft Sudoku consumes 40% of Processor power/Surface Pro 3

I just bought Surface Pro 3 (i7, 256gb version).  I was happy with the battery life until I started using Microsoft Sodoku that came pre-installed.

The back of my Surface gets hot and using task manager I see that it consumes between 20 and 40% of my processor anytime I have the game open and are playing.  In fact, my battery just drained 60% after just 2.5 hours of Sodoku.

Do others have this issue?  Is this a known issue?  Is this how this thing really performs, because I'm very disappointed with the battery life?

I've fully updated my PC, and the only thing I've installed outside of updates was the Media Center Pack that I paid $9.99 for.  I hate to return the Surface and lose my $9.99, but it looks like that's where this is headed.  I was expecting much closer to 10 hours of screen on time.

Thanks in advance.

The surface have good battery life if you are using programs that are not cpu intensive. How ever it may never reach 10 hours but shall at least reach between 5-6 hours. Have you tried other Sodoku apps to see if other don't consume too much cpu resources? Have you check if it is only sodoku consuming a fair amount of cpu resources or other process as well are consuming a fair amount(ex. systems, systems interrupt)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

MS Sudoku is the only one I've found so far.  I just know about it from studying the CPU 60 seconds performance history right after opening Sudoku (after having my battery fully drain).  Typical base load is ~2% or less without having Sudoku open.

Since Metro doesn't want to let me open task manager in split screen with other metro apps, who knows what other apps are so poorly programmed they consume 20-40% of the processor.  Admittedly, I'm new to Windows 8, but I'm an expert Windows 7 user.  Metro/apps are kind of a joke if what should be simple preinstalled apps like Sudoku take that kind of power to run. 

No way would Google or Apple preinstall such a resource intensive poorly programmed app.  Who knows about the other MS apps, I have no confidence in the programmers working on the apps. 

The only other app that doesn't work is MS SmartGlass for my Xbox 360.  This one even locked up my system (haven't had that happen to Windows in 10 years)!  The Android MS SmartGlass app connects and works great (really impressed with it) and connects with zero problems.  I even checked Hmegroup settings to no avail. 

Hopefully the Windows app market will mature and MS will hire programmers that know what they're doing (or at least test their apps before preinstalling them on millions of PCs).

I love the feel of the tablet though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's what happens with my PC when I open Sudoku:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are right...its insane that an app like that take all that cpu resource. Try with a different Sodoku app.

The same thing happen with the Netflix app. looks like Netflix use some kind of compression system that requires a lot of CPU power and will make the surface hot as well as it drains the battery like crazy. The app or via internet explorer both consume a lot of cpu as well. Its better to use an ipad or an android device to watch netflix. I hope Netflix create an app more efficient.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A year later and no fix.

Seriously, Microsoft, I wasn't one of those people who complained about Microsoft's inability to code properly, but I'm quickly becoming one.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2022 Views 386 Applies to: