Intermittent audio pops from speakers, when audio starts/stops playing, and slight hissing noise from speakers

The audio pops from the speakers mostly occurs when typing a lot on the onscreen touch keyboard, but I think it's a more general issue related to the audio device being activated/deactivated. The audio pops are a similar to what I sometimes hear when the device wakes up from sleep, while the audio is in use. There is also a slight hissing noise from the speakers, the moment the audio device starts getting used, such as when I bring up the touch keyboard or start typing on the touch keyboard.

This hissing noise and audio pops seem to be much less pronounced on my old SP5, where I have to put my ear next to the speakers to be able to hear it, but on the SP7 I notice it at normal tablet usage distance.

I also tried searching on google for these issues, and found one reddit thread regarding the SP7.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/e3xs0q/sp7_speaker_noise_problem/

And it seems to be a common issues in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+audio+pop

https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+speaker+pop

https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+hissing+speaker

https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+speaker+noise

https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+static+noise

My Windows is fully up to date, and I already tried disabling the microphone, Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, manually updating Drivers & Firmware, etc.

My specs are Surface Pro 7 - i7 - 16GB - 512GB

Hello XKC,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We really appreciate all the efforts that you did just to possibly resolve the issue.

For the meantime, please run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates. 

if this step will not work we may try to download and install the latest drivers and firmware's manually Click here.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 
Jonas_T             

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

As my original post states, I already did all that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HelloXKC ,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. 

try to perform a fresh start in your Surface:

To use Fresh Start, select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & security Circular arrows Sync icon > Windows Defender > Device performance & health. Under Fresh Start, select Additional info > Get Started

Note: Fresh Start will remove most of your apps, including Microsoft Office, third-party anti-virus software, and desktop apps that came pre-installed on your device. You will not be able to recover removed apps, and will need to manually reinstall these apps later.

Please keep us posted. 

Regards,                                                                                                                 
Jonas_T                 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My device is brand new out of the box, and resetting isn't known to solve this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/e3xs0q/sp7_speaker_noise_problem/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello XKC,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. for us to isolate the problem to determine if it is a hardware or software issue we can try to do a fresh start but if you don't want to do that

you may visit your nearest Microsoft Store or you may contact Support Click here.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 
Jonas_T                      

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tried that, and it obviously didn't solve it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello XKC,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We really appreciate all the efforts that you did just to possibly resolve the issue.
We would recommend you to visit a local Microsoft Store to check and if possible to replace the device or you may contact support Click here.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,                                                                                                                 
Jonas_T             

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi XKC,

I also have the problem and probably all those who have the Surface Pro/Books (if it should comfort you a bit). Some notice that and some do not (it has to be pretty quiet in the room to hear that). There are people who do not mind that and people who find that unacceptable, at least for the device in that price category.With Microsoft support employees you are looking for the help in vain, because they ask again and again only stupid questions:

- have you installed all the latest updates?

- Troubleshooting performed? (Funny, but even with this diagnosis you hear the stupid noise :)))

- Etc.

If you do not have a Surface device yourself, you will not understand what the problem is. I have already tried a lot, but of course without success. If you search Googlef or Surface Book/Pro hissing noise from both speakers, you'll see how many people are complaining.I am convinced that the Microsoft engineers have long known this problem, but there is still no solution to it. And they seem to never officially admit this problem. And now comes the bad news ... If that were a software issue, we would have long since gotten a driver fix with problem solving, but it looks like an "unfortunate" speaker design, so those "sensitive" people as I and you must suffer.I want to be wrong, but it actually looks bad.

Regards,

Valery

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2020 Views 919 Applies to: