How to reset your Surface without logging in

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This wiki article walks you through the procedure of how to reset your Surface 2 or Surface RT without logging in. This can be very useful in case you forgot your password.

Details

Before you begin

In case you lost your password, you may want to have a look at this article before you reset your Surface: I forgot my password 

If Windows is not even loading on your device, the below procedure will not work and you should contact Surface Tech Support.

If you can sign-in to your Surface or are looking to refresh your system from USB recovery media, refer to the following article for instructions: Refresh or reset Surface RT or Surface 2

Reset your Surface 2/RT without signing in

Step 1:

Boot up your Surface to the sign-in screen.

Step 2:

Attach your Touch/Type Cover to your Surface. If you don't have a keyboard, tap the Ease of Access icon  and then tap On-Screen Keyboard.

Step 3:

Tap the Power icon .

Step 4:

Press and hold the Shift-key on your Touch/Type Cover (or tap the Shift-key on the on-screen keyboard).

Step 5:

Still holding the Shift-key pressed, tap Restart. In case you get a prompt to 'restart anyway', tap Restart anyway.

Step 6:

Your Surface will reboot to a 'choose an option' screen. Tap Troubleshoot followed by Reset your PC

Step 7:

Follow the prompts and finally tap Reset. Your Surface will then restart and the reset procedure will begin. Note that this can take a while.

Problems?

If you run into any problems or the steps provided won't work, contact Surface Tech Support.

Please click "Me Too" if you found this Wiki article useful. Thanks!

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for sharing this. 

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

Hi 7th sense
I guess from your response you work with Microsoft
formore than a week I posted my dilemma with my pro 3. After microsoft update early 2017, the screen continously flicker.i haver tried power on+volume up and down. Downloaded use recovery, called your customer care several times
Now i have to return the item,but I am in Philippi es. Where you only have customer care office but not accepting or repair( though I am out of warranty)
What do I do?

4 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 6,122 Applies to: