How to press the <Insert> key when it's not there?

Given that there is no <Insert> key on the Surface/Type keyboard, what key combination will generate the <Insert> key scan code?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Greetings Jim,

Sorry to hear you're unable to find a key-combination for Insert. You may be able to find a key combination here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

Here are the shortcut combinations for the Touch Cover and Type Cover:
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/support/hardware-and-drivers/touch-cover-typing
Thank you for posting,

Steven B

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for those links, but I still don't see a keyboard combination for <Insert>.  Is it possible that Microsoft has chosen to decrement this key?  It's been a standard key on the PC for decades, but apparently it's been retired.   I understand not having a physical key, but there should at least be key combo equivalent for those applications that require it.  Bummer.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While a bit of a kludge, leave your window active, click the window key to the 'Start' panel.  Drag top or bottom to expose All Apps and open it.  Drag all the way right to the ease of use section and it's On-Screen Keyboard.  Open it.  Drag from the left edge to expose your app.   Insert is middle of the right side of the kb.  Pause is there too (window +Pause is one of my favs... with no pause key on other easily access kbs on the Surface)

88 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the work-around.

I noticed something in the "Getting Started Guide" which might be a slight cause for hope.  On page 61 is says,  "If Touch Cover or Type Cover is attached when you turn on you Surface, Windows Update will check for firmware updates for the attached keyboard".  So it may be possible to tweak the keyboard and add a missing key or two. (I for one would be grateful to have <Fn+Del> serve as <Insert>.)

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I to would love to have a key chord to get access to Insert. Sadly Fn+Del is taken for increasing the screen brightness.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems that someone should have done  some research regarding apps that use the ins key before retiring it.  I need a keyboard with an ins key.  I have the pro and I bought a Bluetooth keyboard which also doesn't have an ins key.  I would not have purchased the surface had I know this.  I am very disappointed.  Other than the keyboard issue I really like the tablet but I will no longer be recommending it.  I use Accpac and I can't even get to the next line in a batch without an ins key.

pat

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The insert key is very useful when doing mindmapping. I agree with Pat that I would not have bought
Surface had I known this.

Martine

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems that someone should have done  some research regarding apps that use the ins key before retiring it.  I need a keyboard with an ins key.  I have the pro and I bought a Bluetooth keyboard which also doesn't have an ins key.  I would not have purchased the surface had I know this.  I am very disappointed.  Other than the keyboard issue I really like the tablet but I will no longer be recommending it.  I use Accpac and I can't even get to the next line in a batch without an ins key.

pat

It seems that someone should have bought a different Bluetooth keyboard with an ins key, if it was so important. How is that the surface's fault? :scratcheshead:

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The ins key is missing from the touch keyboard, the type keyboard and the Bluetooth wedge keyboard.  Who would have thought that a key that has been on keyboards since the beginning of computer time would just disappear.  Maybe it is not the surface's fault but it is MS's fault for removing a key that is used by many apps.  The surface can't replace your desktop if you can't even enter your accounting data.  I know people from the MS family and no one I know even knew that the key was missing until we were trying to enter data.  Frustrating...

pat

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

there are loads of bluetooth keyboards in the market. you could've selected a different one. anyway... you can probably try stuff like the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to remap one of the keys to become Insert. I'm sure this will be more helpful than just moaning about it :D there are various types of applications that might allow you to do this, so be sure to dig deeper in case the microsoft one doesnt quite work for you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2021 Views 118,860 Applies to: