Error installing MSI (from microsoft) Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

Surface Book 2 13" Latest version of windows, should be fully patched. (1903)

I have tried installing the new surface dock update app but i keep getting an error. I have tried restarting installer service, as well as the MS Install/Uninstall digicab - that doesn't list the 2 programs i am getting an error with. I have also run surface diagnostics but any repairs made have not affected anything. 

Product: Surface Dock FW Update 1.42.139 Update 19.084.31680 (64 bit) -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: InstallDriversPnP, location: C:\Program Files\SurfaceUpdate\, command: powershell -executionpolicy unrestricted -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Window Hidden -Command "& {Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Include *.inf | ForEach-Object {pnputil -i -a $_}}" 

I then tried installing the Surface Book 2 update bundle, and I get the same error:

Product: Surface Book 2 Update 19_040_09 (64 bit) -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: InstallDriversPnP, location: C:\Program Files\SurfaceUpdate\, command: powershell -executionpolicy unrestricted -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Window Hidden -Command "& {Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Include *.inf | ForEach-Object {pnputil -i -a $_}}" 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Surface Book 2 13" Latest version of windows, should be fully patched. (1903)

I have tried installing the new surface dock update app but i keep getting an error. I have tried restarting installer service, as well as the MS Install/Uninstall digicab - that doesn't list the 2 programs i am getting an error with. I have also run surface diagnostics but any repairs made have not affected anything. 

Product: Surface Dock FW Update 1.42.139 Update 19.084.31680 (64 bit) -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: InstallDriversPnP, location: C:\Program Files\SurfaceUpdate\, command: powershell -executionpolicy unrestricted -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Window Hidden -Command "& {Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Include *.inf | ForEach-Object {pnputil -i -a $_}}" 

I then tried installing the Surface Book 2 update bundle, and I get the same error:

Product: Surface Book 2 Update 19_040_09 (64 bit) -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: InstallDriversPnP, location: C:\Program Files\SurfaceUpdate\, command: powershell -executionpolicy unrestricted -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Window Hidden -Command "& {Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Include *.inf | ForEach-Object {pnputil -i -a $_}}" 

Hi

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Surface Community. I'm sorry to hear with regards on your concern on your Surface Dock Firmware Update. So far we don't encounter any common errors in updating Surface Dock FW update. As of the moment, we would like to know if you have already completed the update on your settings or let us know if you encounter errors there.

Please keep us posted, looking forward on your response.

Regards,

Edd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

As mentioned above i am getting the same error trying to install 2 different MSI files distributed by Microsoft. One is the latest surface dock updater msi, the other is for latest surface book 2 deiver pack msi. 

I don't understand what you are asking me. 

I can't install either msi file. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See if this helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See if this helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

I tried that - mentioned in first post. It doesn't list these apps i am having a problem with even though event log and temp logs are recorded with errors. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried sfc /scannow ?

I'm not sure if you should be running 1903 in a 13" Surface Book. I's a definite no for the 15".

If you're up for it you might want to do a full Reset.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried sfc /scannow ?

I'm not sure if you should be running 1903 in a 13" Surface Book. I's a definite no for the 15".

If you're up for it you might want to do a full Reset.

I am taking updates straight from MS. This is a Surface Book 2, but yes reset may be next if no other ideas. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

have you seen
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/error-1721-in-windows-10/f9f2686a-2ec2-4da2-8cca-f498f39b0b9e?auth=1
?

Yes, i i mentied trying the first 2 above, and i even tried the third; though compatability mode for a windows 10 only app on windows 10 didnt offer any logical hope. 

I did search before posting.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

are you running Avast or another third party AV?

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

are you running Avast or another third party AV?

No. Standard MS stuff. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 1,528 Applies to: