Disabling Connected Standby on a Surface Book 2

Split from this thread.

Hi Dan,

Let's look into this Power configuration concern. You can disable Connected Standby via the Registry. We encourage that you Backup your Registry before proceeding with the changes. Navigate through the registry by expanding these Keysets: HKLM > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power > CsEnabled. Change the value from 1 to 0 and restart.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0) (change from 1 to 0 and restart)

Update us if changing these values will rectify concern.

This thing kills the sleep mode at all on my Surface Book 2.

After this change, the "sleep" option is vanished from the power menu and from everywhere across the system. As a result, when closing the lid, Surface Book 2 always hibernates and it always takes ~2 minutes after opening the lid to boot up and connect to WiFi. This is bad...

The question is WHY do you want to disable connected standby? What issue are you trying to resolve?
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

The question is WHY do you want to disable connected standby? What issue are you trying to resolve?
In my case (Surface Book 2) it’s a pure battery drain issue. Approximately 50% of times SB2 is literally “mining” something after I close the lid, draining the battery overnight or in my backpack. The surface itself becomes warm and hence I think it occasionaly does something when the lid is closed, which is bad as well.
Microsoft supposedly fixed the hot bag issue with the original SB long ago - but
it looks like it might have resurfaced (bad pun)
I'd be interested if the strange fix a customer posted
difference in your case before proceeding further.

>In my case (Surface Book 2) it’s a pure battery drain issue. Approximately 50% of times SB2 is literally “mining” something after I close the lid, draining the battery overnight or in my backpack. The surface itself becomes warm and hence I think it occasionaly does something when the lid is closed, which is bad as well.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

The battery of my sp4 was running faster than the cpu - I've read somewhere that disabling this feat will solve some of that issue.

I found the key they spoke of, in the register a while back. I disabled it and now... my sp4 doesn't need to recharge every hour or so again! (once a day will do it now)

Disable that key will improve the battery life significantly. 

Discussion Info

Last updated October 10, 2020 Views 5,073 Applies to: