Computer won't use both batteries

Friends -- I'll be grateful for any advice about the following problem, which I haven't seen precisely raised elsewhere.  My laptop has two batteries.  They both are shown in the indicator as being at 100% (fully charged).  But the computer only draws on battery 1.  When battery 1 runs out, the computer shuts down, even though battery 2 is still at 100%.  Somehow the computer has forgotten how to find or use battery 2.  Might you be able to advise about a solution?

Thank you!

AusTex

Hi AusTex user,

The issue is kind of odd and for us to determine why this happens on your Surface device, can you please run the battery report? To run the battery report, kindly: 

Type CMD on the search box next to the Windows icon or in Cortana and run it as administrator. Once opened type and enter " powercfg /batteryreport ". Just follow the file path to access the battery report, take a screenshot of it and include it in your reply.

After generating the battery report, please uninstall the battery drivers of your Surface device in Device Manager.

Open Device Manager

Expand Battery

Right-click on drivers available and select "uninstall device". Then, restart your Surface to check if this makes any changes. If it does the same thing, can you tell me the current OS  version of your Surface device? Did this happen after installing updates? 

If  this helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, Crest!  I'm working on your second suggest.  In the meantime, I'm seeking to attach the report you kindly requested here.  I'll be grateful for any help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstalling the drivers as you suggested appears to have addressed the problem.  Thank you so much!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for updating me, AusTex user

You may mark my initial reply as an answer if that really helps you. On the other hand, I'd like you to know that your Surface device battery life has depreciated. So, expect that the device won't last up to its estimated battery life when you first had it if you'll be running it on battery power.

Kind Regards,

Crest

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 117 Applies to: