Battery Draining Instantly

Split from this thread.

It only happened for the first time a couple of days ago, but sometimes my Surface Pro has been turning off regardless of charge beforehand and then when I plug it in to turn on again, it says it has 0% available. 1st time it happened as soon as I put the charger in when it went to 20% (and battery saver mode), today it just happened at around 50% while unplugged.

What can I do to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 259 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Interestingly enough, I have also had some craziness going on with my Surface Pro 4 battery. At this point, it's more of a backup/travel computer and the occasional Netflix binge session, so it doesn't get used a whole lot.

On 9/2 I pulled the computer out to use it and was prompted with some notices about needing to update, etc. I figured it probably hadn't been updated in a little bit and let it do it's thing while I made/ate dinner. Came back over to it and noticed the battery icon in the task bar showed a totally empty battery and hovering over it showed that it was 255% charged. Unplugging the AC adapter causes it to instantly lose power and shutdown.

On Saturday (9/7), I took it up to the Microsoft store to see what/if anything could be done about it. After enduring the expected "well batteries do drain down overtime. It is an old computer." They actually took a look at it and ran the battery diagnostic tool. It clearly showed a normal (but aging) battery dating back to April, ever so slight decreased in mWh up to 9/2 where it showed the battery spike up into the millions and then promptly drain to -1mWh. They disabled the drivers, reinstalled them, hard reset the computer, checked for updates, etc. Pretty much the usual troubleshooting tips. When none of that worked they suggested reinstalling the entire O.S. Not thinking much of it I agreed and left it overnight.

The next morning I get a phone call to let me know that they "had completed diagnostics" and that the battery was simply no longer functional. Upon pick up, I was given the same spiel about aging batteries, about how even cell phone batteries do the same but we don't keep them long enough to notice, and how it's a perishable item that would never be covered under any warranty.

So, here I am today (9/9) with what is essentially a wired tablet that has been completely wiped clean. Convenient, seeing as I know have zero log of my previous update history and no battery report showing months of normal behavior (the Microsoft store claims they do not keep diagnostic info like that). Hopefully some sort of software fix can take care of the crazy battery readings people have been getting after the update, as I fear I may have just lost any chance of being able to make a hardware claim without any sort of logs to back these claims up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.