How can I run multiple Skype accounts at the same time on Skype 8.x?

Hi!

I would like to ask if how to run a mutlitple Skype account in version 8.12.014? I tried it using the same tricks used in old version like C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary and it does not seem to work anymore in version 8.12.0.14. Are there any ways of how to use the version 8 Skype to open multiple accounts at the same time again? I hope you could help me with this because this thing is what i need the most in Skype.

By the way, I am using Skype for Windows Desktop.

Thanks!

Pete

Answer
Answer

The syntax is similar. You do have to add some commands and paths specific to OSX  to allow arguments to pass (noted in bold).

Examples mirroring the prior Windows examples.

open -na Skype --args --secondary

open -na Skype --args --secondary --datapath="/Users/$(whoami)/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Skype for Desktop/Profile1"

If the Skype executable cannot be launched properly by its name (as shown above), you can try Skype.app or /Applications/Skype.app. 

As stated before, you can select whatever path or structure of your choosing.  This is merely an example appending to the existing default profile structure for OSX (/Users/$(whoami)/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Skype for Desktop"). If you supply no datapath it will use the default location every time.

The above examples can be pasted into TextEdit, and saved in the format of a standard text file (.txt). From Get Info and the terminal command line. You can change the extension to .sh or .command and make it executable (chmod +x). The window above can be configured to automatically close. This configuation is found in the Terminal's preferences under Settings - Shell - When the shell exits:.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If you need to use two accounts simultaneously you can sign into additional accounts using Skype for Web. The new Skype for Windows desktop is still unofficially capable of supporting multiple sign ins.

Since there is no official announcement or supported command-line reference FAQ for the new Skype for Windows Desktop, users have taken upon themselves to find them.

The unofficial replacement to the /secondary switch is the equivalent --secondary switch/command-line argument. The /datapath switch is replaced with --datapath. Quotes are mandatory when you include folders with spaces. If you need a secondary account to automatically login via a shortcut you will need to add a unique --datapath "" value for each additional account. This essentially recreates and redirects a duplicate profile storage to that new location. 

ie. Skype.exe shortucut properties potential Target values.

Target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe" --secondary

Target:

Shortcut 1

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe" --secondary --datapath "%appdata%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\profile1" 

Target"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe" --secondary --datapath "%appdata%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\profile2"

You can select whatever path or structure of your choosing.  This is merely an example appending to the existing default profile structure ("%appdata%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop"). If you supply no datapath it will use the default location every time.

152 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 59,477 Applies to: