Can you still SKYPE from a PC with Windows XP as its OS?

Anyone know how to use Skype from a PC that runs Windows XP for its Operating System?  My desktop software for Skype from Feb.'15 failed to connect.  Then the web-version of Skype added one plug-in then it wanted to add a 2nd plug-in to my browser, Google Chrome, but that failed because it requires Windows 7 or newer.  Any ideas [beyond buying a new PC]?
Answer
Answer

Anyone know how to use Skype from a PC that runs Windows XP for its Operating System?  My desktop software for Skype from Feb.'15 failed to connect.  Then the web-version of Skype added one plug-in then it wanted to add a 2nd plug-in to my browser, Google Chrome, but that failed because it requires Windows 7 or newer.  Any ideas [beyond buying a new PC]?

Is there a particular reason you are using a Skype version for February 2015?  Skype 7.1 was released at the end of January 2015.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34509/what-s-new-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

That latest version of Skype for Windows Desktop works just fine on Windows XP.  If you are running an older version due to your processor not supporting SSE2, then upgrading your computer's OS will not fix that problem.  The SSE2 instruction set is a hardware requirement similar to MMX.  There is generally no upgrade path short of replacing the processor and motherboard (if possible).  Intel Pentium 4 and above processors produced since 2001 and most AMD processors produced since 2003, all support SSE2.  

Skype 6.2 (Feb, 2013), video support was lost and Skype had no intention on further supporting older processors.
Since Skype 7.6 (Jun, 2015), application support was lost, producing a crash when you attempt to install or execute Skype.  Usually this error is initialization error 0xc000001d.

Any versions below Skype 7.17 (Dec, 2015) are retired.  You will not be able to connect or stay connected to Skype using these versions.

Though SSE2 was never explicitly made a part of the minimum requirements possibly due to the fact that most 1 GHz processors produced since Skype was founded (2003) until today all have that instruction set (the past 13-16 years).  The only exception being AMD's slot/socket A/563 produced between 2001 - 2004.

In 2013, Skype released a FAQ about no longer supporting these older processors ( https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12252/why-can-t-i-make-video-calls-on-the-latest-version-of-skype... ).  You may be able to use Skype for Web for IM'ing.  The plug-in was designed for use with Windows 7 and above and has the same SSE2 requirement which will probably cause the plug-in to fail without it.   Edge can support Skype for Web without a plug-in however, it requires Windows 10, which requires SSE2.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 2,082 Applies to: