Skype question regarding conference invitations and it somehow is showing the company of the invitee

Hello Support,

I have a client who is acquiring another business and right now the other businesses users are working at my clients office with internet connection to their corporate wifi, however their computers and companies are still separate, they havent merged yet.

One of these users got an invite to a skype meeting from one of their clients.  When they joined the meeting it was exposing the local company name/network.  This is a problem because its not supposed to be known yet that the 2 companies are merging.

I know this sounds confusing but i will explain it better below.

My client = company 1

their newly acquired company they are merging with  = company 2

company 1 is the main office, they bought out company 2, and a few of company 2 users moved to company 1's office location to start working, however they are still separate entities, separate domains, etc.  Company 2 laptops are connecting to company 1's corporate wifi for internet access.

Company 2 gets a skype email invite from an outside vendor who is not related to company 1.

when company 2 joined the skype meeting, next to their avatar on the meeting it exposed the company name for company 1.

This is a problem because no one is supposed to know that company 1 and company 2 are planning to merge.

so the issue and question is, how come company 2 user showed up in the skype meeting as a company 1 user, when they dont have any ties to company one other than sharing the wifi for internet?

if you have any further questions or need clarification please let me know.

**Thread has been transferred to Skype for Business Community board for better assistance.**

Hi MazzyMatin,

According to your description, we suggest you check if the company name of these company 2 users show right in Outlook Web App (OWA). Besides, to help you better, we need to collect some information:

1. Does issue occurs to all the company 2 users when they join the Skype Meeting?
2. Are the Skype for Business the company 2 users used configured to on-premises server or cloud server? What about company 1?
3. What do company 2 users use to join the Skype Meeting, Skype for Business client or Skype for Business Web App?
4. What’s the detailed version information of Skype for Business?

Regards,
Jay

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

my client (company 1 and company 2) do not use skype for business or skype at all.  They were just invited to a skype meeting by an outside company.  they just dont understand why the skype meeting exposes their company name.  

I do not know the detailed version of the skype because its not my clients skype, its a 3rd party that is inviting my client to the meeting.

Basically the question i want to find an answer is this.

here is another Scenario i will explain to see if you can answer.  I will use you and myself to play the roles.

Jay Sun uses skype for business.  Mazzy does not use skype at all.

Jay Sun sends Mazzy an email with an invitation to join a Skype meeting.

Mazzy Joins the skype meeting.

On the skype meeting under Mazzy's avatar it shows "the name of my company" which is my company name, however i did not type in my company name in the meeting and i dont understand how the skype program is exposing my location/company name.  And i want to make sure when i join a skype meeting from another invite from Jay, I dont want it to show my company name to all the users in the meeting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MazzyMatin,

If your clients are not Skype for business users, they may join in the Skype for business meeting with Skype Meeting App. Here is an article for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/join-a-skype-for-business-meeting-with-skype-meetings-app-skype-for-business-web-app-4828ad18-ed21-422a-a870-94d676d4b72a#Version=Skype-Meetings-App

And according to my test, I get the result as the following screenshot:

If I’m not a Skype for business user, there won’t be any additional information shown next to my avatar. It will only show me as a guest.

So, I’d like to confirm if your clients join in SFB meeting by following the steps mentioned in the article above. If not, please let me know the detailed steps about how do they join in the SFB meeting.

In addition, could you please provide me some screenshots to clarify this question?

Thanks,

Huni

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MazzyMatin,

Do you need any further assistance?

Thanks,

Huni

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 59 Applies to: