Skype LEAKS

I have all the privacy settings set as far as I can see or know
AND STILL
SKYPE LEAKS
One of my contacts has received a list of my contacts!!!!

"In the contacts section on Daniel's Skype, it says 'discover' and that's where some of your contacts were listed.  He then gets to choose whether to add them to his contacts or not.  He must be using a different version to me, because I do not have that facility."

How do I stop that please????

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2019 Views 435 Applies to:

Hello DavidLewin,

Welcome to Skype Community forum!

These suggested contacts are people who are in your Android and Microsoft account address books who are also on Skype. This new feature makes it slightly easier to add the right people on Skype.

We didn't send invites to them, and editing the privacy settings can be done on the end of your friend. He can remove them if he'd like by deleting individual contacts, using the contacts filter to show Skype contacts only.

For further updates and information, please refer to this link: Click here

Please let us know if you have any questions or other concerns.

Thank you!

Jannine_P
Skype Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello DavidLewin,

Welcome to Skype Community forum!

These suggested contacts are people who are in your Android and Microsoft account address books who are also on Skype. This new feature makes it slightly easier to add the right people on Skype.

We didn't send invites to them, and editing the privacy settings can be done on the end of your friend. He can remove them if he'd like by deleting individual contacts, using the contacts filter to show Skype contacts only.

For further updates and information, please refer to this link: Click here

Please let us know if you have any questions or other concerns.

Thank you!

Thanks for responding - but you miss the ESSENCE of the matter.

The Skype USER owes a debt of care to his contacts.  It is the Skype USER alone who has a right to agree - or disagree -  for his contacts to be divulged to third parties.  This ought to come under the European Data Protection Legislation - and indeed, the Right of Any Individual.  As a User of Skype, Microsoft SHOULD have warned me of the possibility of a leak of my data   AND should give me a clear, unambiguous way of opting in or out.

It is NOT for my contact to opt in - or out!!!!   It is for ME to make that decision

I insist on stopping this leak immediately  and ask your instructions how I can achieve that.

David Lewin

Thanks for responding - but you miss the ESSENCE of the matter.

The Skype USER owes a debt of care to his contacts.  It is the Skype USER alone who has a right to agree - or disagree -  for his contacts to be divulged to third parties.  This ought to come under the European Data Protection Legislation - and indeed, the Right of Any Individual.  As a User of Skype, Microsoft SHOULD have warned me of the possibility of a leak of my data   AND should give me a clear, unambiguous way of opting in or out.

It is NOT for my contact to opt in - or out!!!!   It is for ME to make that decision

I insist on stopping this leak immediately  and ask your instructions how I can achieve that.

David Lewin

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David!

Thanks for your post! Totally understand your concerns and we're working on how we can better address them in the longer term.

For an immediate short term solution, you can disable the "Show me in search and suggestions" switch under Privacy settings. This will prevent your contact list or your information from being used in the Discover section in other people's contact lists. You may still see a Discover section (there's no way to disable it from showing up as of now) but please be assured that your information will not be used to populate other people's Discover results.

Please let me know if you have any other follow up questions!

Thanks,

Paul, Product Manager at Skype

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no such "Show me in search and suggestions" switch under Privacy settings !!!  

This message board is so basic that I cannot paste the image of my Privacy Settings window

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey David,

Ah sorry realized you are using Skype desktop, not mobile! Apologies.

You can control whether you're visible then by going here: https://secure.skype.com/portal/profile.

Uncheck the "Appear in search results and suggestions" tick box. Hope that solves your issue for now :)

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.